Love at first sight, just like the better half in my life. 1960 C20 Apache Step Side Long Bed with Beautiful eyes hooked me, and what a great back end too…… the truck!!!! I found this beauty on one of my bike rides in the hills outside Yamhill, Oregon. It was parked over twenty years ago in a seasonal wet spot.. which means that 8 months of the year it sat in 6 to 12 inches of water and rusted from the bottom up. I just snapped or cut off 90 percent of the bolts holding it together. Anyway, I am in way over my head. Purchased a good compressor, paint and sanding equipment, Hobart 140 MIG welder and new tools as needed. No help on this at the house as I know of people out here socializing while they know they have something contagious.... Not worth the risk. But I can come here for info and advice, thank you.
I have shipped the cab off to have it dipped. The cab will need numerous pieces replaced due to rust through. Picked up a nice MIG unit that I really like. Plans are to prime all the areas that will not be cut out and removed. The engine went to a rebuilder in the hills who has been doing these old engines for many years. I am not sure how many parts will get dipped and how many I will sand down to bare metal. So much interior rust on all body pieces. I cannot access many areas with rust which means dipping in acid may be only realistic alternative.
The frame will go out for sand blasting and then get powder coated. I may do the same on front suspension unit and rear end.... too soon to tell as I am still thinking this through. I appreciate all comments and any good advice. More to this story soon.
pictures. 1. Parked in the swampy field 2. On the trailer, going home 3. After first de-tox 4. taking cab off with no extra help 5. down to the frame and running gear
Last edited by Peggy M; 11/05/20233:52 PM. Reason: added pictures