John,

Thanks for the info! The draft you have is well put together and I think adds clarification to a confusing subject. That is a good point on the fifth wheel hitch restriction, I forgot about that. I am assuming to get the restrictions removed you would have to redo the whole test with the correct truck (air brakes and fifth wheel).

You also mention a good point about the trailer used, as I would have done the same thing with a gooseneck trailer just like that.

My goal is to build somewhat of a multi-purpose vehicle, with flatbed (maybe dumping) and a gooseneck and ball hitch, which would basically preclude being able to use a full fifth wheel set up. I might need to rethink how I approach the project. Having a fifth wheel would allow a trailer like you mentioned with the axles set back.

Unfortunately the trucks I am finding are a few hours away so going to look at them to assess condition/determine info on the tags gets to be a challenge!

Here are three I have found so far. Truck 1 I think is a C60H, 24k GVW, cast spokes and full air brakes and factory tach, $1,800. Truck 2 is already set up almost exactly like I would do it and in good shape, $5,000. Truck 3 is cheap but unknown mechanical condition at this point other than I know it has hydraulic brakes, $750. I keep leaning towards truck 1 but I think it is in the worst shape body wise and has no bed or hydraulics.
Attachments
truck1.jpg (107.02 KB, 82 downloads)
truck2.jpg (166.75 KB, 88 downloads)
truck3.jpg (98.93 KB, 85 downloads)