That CDL paper is quite thoughtful, I like it a lot. If I however were considering giving advice on the issue, I think I would limit myself to saying (as you do in part) that a person should check with their own state and get it writing. I think I would forever hold the pdf as a draft. It seems to me that if a person is hauling for money they better be prepared to be questioned in detail about their truck and what they are doing. The age of the truck may bear on the question of how it needs to be legally equipped but I don't think that a person should count on an old truck, no matter how it is registered, getting them by a scale without a discussion.

I have spent a couple years driving a tow truck combination for hire which often was over its weight rating and always outside my D class non-commercial license restrictions. I passed many scales without even slowing down after being waved away from the first one I stopped at. It seems that the officials have no interest in messing with tow drivers who frequently make officers lives easier. I am not convinced that is really a good idea, allowing some to get a pass and others to pay a huge price. Everyone is supposed to be treated equally, at least in theory. During that time, I saw a lot of truckers pay dearly for very simple errors.

I personally would avoid a CDL at all costs for as John suggests, the fact of your having it will place large burdens on you when you are stopped.

On the other hand, if you are hauling for hire, you better have the right one. The penalties for that violation are high.


Mac :{)

1962 K10 short step side, much modified for rally
1969 T50 fire truck, almost nos, needs a few things