The extensive discourse on distributor greasing did not fill me with confidence. I proceeded to order and install the HEI setup from Langdon's.
Wow!
What a difference it made! The intermittent miss at idle with #6 has completely disappeared. The idle is very stable (the timing is rock-steady), and the exhaust pulses at the tailpipe are very even. I didn't realize how poorly the truck was idling before; it has never sounded this good.
The suggested initial timing of 10°-18° (with vacuum advance disconnected) seemed a little aggressive with my oddball Carter YF at WOT, so I have backed it off a bit. I'll refine the timing as I continue to drive it.
I haven't yet swapped to the recommended Champion RJ18YC6 spark plugs; I may get to that tomorrow evening.
With the new HEI working well, manifold gaskets replaced, and having rebuilt my generator this past weekend, I think I'm all ready for the Hot Rod Hundred in St. Louis next weekend!
-Kevin
Last edited by Shakey61; 10/04/2019 7:25 PM.