Jerry,
Good info!
That's the air cleaner that came on the truck. I'll get something more suitable.
I recall that when I was looking at the distributor, the spring, and plastic button were gone. All that was there was the fitting. I read online somewhere that was a common modification, and that you just have to keep greasing the fitting periodically. I've put grease in it a couple of times, but it doesn't seem to help the play. I'll may have to replace the distributor.
I kind of like that the truck is rather quiet...it makes me stealthy right up until I turn the red beacon on! I agree that the exhaust is more of a 'joyride' item than practical upgrade...that's why it's a low priority for me. Plus, I really don't feel like having to plumb heating to my intake manifold. On a related note, my VW's use exhaust, and my Alfa Romeo uses coolant from the radiator to heat the intake plenums. I never really understood why, until I started reading on Stovebolt.com about intake heating. Now I'm smarter all the way around!
-Kevin