I participated in the Hot Rod Hundred run in St. Louis this weekend with 'Mater Jr.. It was a 'Hot Rod Three-Hundred' for me...98 miles to the start, 112 miles on the run, and 92 miles home. The 235 ran very well.

I took I-70 and I-64 to the start point, driving 70-75mph the whole way. The 'Hundred' part of the day was on back roads and secondary highways at 45-60mph, and the drive home was on highways of 55-70mph. Across the board, I have a 3mpg increase in fuel economy, with greater power margin at interstate speeds. I'm guessing this is a result of the better air cleaner, and HEI installation (I swapped the plugs too).

The HEI instructions from Langdon's says to set the initial timing at 10°-18° BTDC. After adjusting the carb idle speed and mixture settings, I have the timing at 15° BTDC. That gave pretty good performance for the HR3H run. I don't know if 3° more is going to make any difference.

My power curve seems to flatten out above 3/4 throttle. I'm not sure if this is normal, or an effect of my Carter YF woes. I shouldn't complain too loudly, as it runs pretty well overall, I just think it should be better.

-Kevin


This is what happens when you live with a house-full of women, the wife and daughters name all the cars:
1960 Impala - "Frankie" (Frank Sinatra)
1961 Apache - " 'Mater Jr." (wrecker)
1965 Corvair Monza Convertible
1967 C20 "Ol' Blue" (hidden in a log cabin for 30 years)
1972 SuperBeetle Convertible - "Juliet"
1976 SuperBeetle Convertible - "Olaf"
1988 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce - "Romeo"