As Jerry suggested, I installed a larger 9" dia air cleaner. I then re-adjusted the idle mixture and idle speed screws. It certainly runs better at 70-80mph than it did before. I still have that metering rod issue in the carb, but the larger air cleaner seems to have helped a little with the rich mixture.
I guess the small air cleaner that came on it is more applicable to a multi-carb setup.
I put some more grease into the distributor's fitting. Of course, no change to the drifting timing. Now I have to decide whether to pursue refurbishing the existing distributor, or going HEI after all.
This is what happens when you live with a house-full of women, the wife and daughters name all the cars: 1960 Impala - "Frankie" (Frank Sinatra) 1961 Apache - " 'Mater Jr." (wrecker) 1965 Corvair Monza Convertible 1967 C20 "Ol' Blue" (hidden in a log cabin for 30 years) 1972 SuperBeetle Convertible - "Juliet" 1976 SuperBeetle Convertible - "Olaf" 1988 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce - "Romeo"