Finally got some time to look at why I have play in the steering. I jacked up the front end on the drivers side leaving the passenger side on the ground and tugged on the tire looking for loose components. The first thing I found is the rear mount on the front leaf spring is loose rocking on the frame. The rivets are loose. How do I go about fixing this. If I had room to swing a hammer, I would try peening it but with the engine in it I don’t think I have the room.
I was thinking that I could grind off the head and punch them out replacing them with a grade 8 bolt.
I found other issues but this is first on the list. Any suggestions?
Phil Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals
1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes Project Journals Stovebolt Gallery Forum