Originally Posted by Hotrod Lincoln
If a rivet is "bucked" properly
Just a picky thing about terminology. You should have used "set" rather than "bucked". Bucking is the act of backing up the sheet metal with a big chunk of iron so the rivet set can be hammered on to expand the rivet. I'm sure you know what a rivet set is, Jerry, but for the younger guys, it's a punch that has a hole the size of the rivet shank, another that's typically dome shaped to form the rivet head. The first hole is used to drive the two pieces of metal together after first upsetting the rivet slightly with the head forming hole to expand it. Then the shaped hole to finish expanding and setting the rivet. I learned how to do that from my dad when I was about 8 years old.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.