| Crusing in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 5,096 | Steve-w, Mike, HRL and others,
I agree that knocking out and re-riveting and getting averything lined up again is a whole lot more work than removing a piece from the middle of the frame. The welding is relatively easy, although I got a professional welder to do the upside down welding.
One can add additional strength by bending a couple of frame thick pieces to fit in the corners, if the frame is of two different thickneses, then regular angle iron can be used.
I found some grade 8 flange bolts at McMaster-Carr that were quite reasonable.
I found a hand held cut-off wheel to be much more accurate than my plasma cutter.
Just measure carefully, get everything square.
Ed
Last edited by EdPruss; 02/16/2019 2:22 PM.
'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires. '47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle. '54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed. '55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
|