In my case, the only couple guy's local I could find to do it were pinstripers and they wanted BIG money to do the lettering on my truck. This was right after I spent right at $100 to lay some quick preservation paint on the old girl. I might consider going that route in a few years when I actually do a proper restore on it but for now she's a workin' truck so that's not going to happen.
A buddie that had worked for sign shops and did some striping for fun recommended I go ahead and lay out the lettering on the computer and have a vinal mask cut to use as a stencil, then he came over and laid the shadow on it with one-shot by hand. It turned out pretty good and I'm happy with it for now.
One thing I would do different if I were to do it again. I laid the white on the stencil pretty thick so I wish I had lightly sanded the edges before he did shadows, it's thick enough and has enough edge that several people have though that it was vinal lettering outlined with one shot.
Here\'s what I did.. I've got a good collection of pictures of door lettering I've taken as well as several doors up at my farm I've bought because of the lettering. Some day when I build a big barn I want to hang them high up on the walls. Some are almost just door skins left. I'll try to throw a gallery of them out on my site in the next few days when I get a chance.
Also when we were prepping the truck for the
preservation paint we found this lettering about 2 layers down.
Wakenda, MO MONGO