Panic -- Actually, if you find a 261 block from the 1954 mold, it *is* a direct bolt in as 1954 mold engines were designed for the '54 and 55 1st series trucks so the water pump is in the correct position for Advance Design trucks.

For the OP, I went from a 216 to a 261 and I couldn't be happier with it. Here's the Tech Tip we all worked on about this engine upgrade and rebuild

The 235 is a good upgrade, but a 261 is even better. And if you can find the earlier 261, it's a very easy install. As I did, you can even dress it up with the valve cover and distributor (if you're staying 6 volts, anyway) from your 216 and not very many people will even notice that it isn't actually the original engine (unless they know to look at the carb or the pushrod cover wink ). And you will find that some self-professed truck experts are fun to mess with at shows and cruise-ins. I even used my 216's bell housing and flywheel so I could keep it 6 volts.

And BTW, numbers matching is nice and all that, but it doesn't mean quite as much to the old truck community as it does to the muscle car crazies wink so feel free to turn your 216 into a boat anchor smile

Oh, but send your connecting rods to Jerry first wink


~ John

A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.

1949 Chevrolet 3804
In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum
1973 IH 1310 Dump
1963 Kaiser M38A1
2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"
2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)