Your neighbor may be correct.
As for the "Almost There", I think your timing is still off. You should not see a "mark" through the hole in the flywheel cover. You should see what looks like a BB welded to the flywheel. The problem is #1 piston will be at TDC twice. The easiest way without pulling the valve cover off is to pull #1 plug and crank the engine slowly in short bursts until your finger is blown off the #1 hole. Then look for the BB. Adjust slightly clockwise or counter clockwise until BB is centered. Take off the distributor cap and see where the rotor is pointing and place the plug wires accordingly. Replace the cap and try again.🛠


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)