"I guess you can now add this topic to your above manifesto to share with your VCCA buddies..."
Hi Carl.
I've owned the same '36 Chevy pickup since 1965, but no other antique cars ever. Being a do-it-yourselfer and enjoying tinkering in my home machine/welding shop I've attempted various visually undetectable upgrades on that '36 since the home restoration was completed in the mid 1970s.
Whenever one of those projects had a good outcome I've passed what I learned on to others who may find the information useful. I realize that the information on that '36 I posted might look like a lot, but when one considers that it is a 50+ year accumulation of information about only 1 vehicle it may look like not so much. In any event, I'm not an automotive professional and do not regard myself as any kind of expert. I'm just and interested and motivated amateur who likes to test his skills.
Most of what I have learned about my '36 came from asking questions and learning from others. For example it was Pre 68 Dave on this forum who informed me that the way to put 3.55 gears in my '36 was to use a '37 Chevy car rear end. If you look at the article on that 3.55 conversion, (
http://vcca.org/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/334876/1936_Chevy_3.55_rear_gear_conv), you will see that I'm not even the one who posted it. It was posted by someone else who thought it might be useful to others. Please notice that the article posted about the 3.55 rear gear conversion credits stovebolt.com TWICE!
"Is it so important to you that we all understand how vast your knowledge/experience is as it applies to this hobby, that you feel it necessary to question a proven, well received tool to prove your point?"
Carl, I don't know of any way to get information other than by asking questions. Please notice that I didn't understand the reason for the broached keyway in the installation tool until Jerry explained. Then I understood and said so. As to having "vast knowledge/experience" I probably do have more than average information about the 1936 Chevy pickup after owning the same one for over 50 years but none to speak of regarding other years, makes and models.
Another example of asking for information is asking a lubrication engineer at Lubriplate for an equivalent to SAE 160 gear oil recommended for my '36 transmission "back in the day". He recommended Lubriplate SPO-288 gear oil. Draining the "600W" oil I had been using and putting the Lubriplate product in had the effect of making the trans shift better than it ever has. It's hard to imagine what could possibly be wrong with passing that information on to others who may be able to use it. Can you please explain?
Lastly Carl, although I'm an educated person, I don't know what "obtuse demeanor" is. Maybe I would if I were a psychologist but my degrees are in geology.