Grigg- your perch modification is really nice- and I can see that you had some really nice equipment at your disposal to to it the right way...this is exactly what I am concerned about- not having that kind of equipment to get the arch for the axle perfectly matched on both sides, and perfectly aligned with the perch center hole. If I have to enlarge an "off the shelf" perch with a grinder or file, the centering hole won't be exactly centered in relation to the axle cut-outs...
52pu- The perches on my new axle have already been removed. I'll be putting perches on top of the new axle because it's a 3/4 ton truck. It is my understanding that the transmission output shaft thrust line and the differential pinion line need to be parallel. I'm going to fit everything up after I get the engine/trans/cab and bed back on the frame, so that the suspension is loaded properly and then set it up and tack weld. As for the axle being "square sitting on or under the springs"- that is what I am concerned about- creating hinky perches and NOT having things be square...