It's amazing how accurate that smart phone angle app is- I used it to set up an IRS rear end one time and it was dead on when I got the car to the alignment shop!

I guess there are no short cuts here. I was hoping to get at least ONE THING FINISHED on the truck, rather than have a million things half finished...

My axle OD is 2.62" at the perch location, and my rear springs are 2" wide (the axle tubes on this rear end change diameter back and forth from the diff to the axle flange). Off the shelf perches will not be a perfect fit (2.5" or 3" tube OD perches). I was contemplating how to build my own, but am concerned about getting everything centered/equal/straight if I do make them.

The centering hole and the axle cut out one each side has to be perfect in every dimension & angular relationship in order to get the axle lined up perfectly with the frame. I don't know that I possess the equipment to build perfect perches on my own. On the internet I've seen some simple ones that guys have whacked out that apparently work, but the idea of having my rear axle out of alignment bothers me a great deal.

Do I just make the best ones that I can and then use a tape measure from the axle ends to the front of the frame to get the alignment right prior to welding them in? What are the chances of my frame even being straight? Small to none, I would bet. Maybe it's all a wash in the end? It's not a race car after all, but I will be driving this truck on the freeway.

Any ideas?


~ Dave
1950 Chevrolet 3600 3/4-ton with 261 engine & T5 Transmission