Hi Bartamos
Thank you for returning the post to some of my original questions. I did enjoy the intervening discussion a bit, but it did begin to wander. When I stalled, I did a quick test with manually moving the carb linkage to full throttle and trying to see if gas would squirt. I could not see down the throat, so I then removed the oil bath cleaner, got a step ladder (so I could actullay see down the throttle barrel) and did the test again, while I could not see the squirt ( not sure if I still had a good view) - I decided to try a squirt or two of starting fluid just to see if it would even bark on start. No luck and at this time I had to attend to a couple of things when the wife decide to pull up with a car full of groceries. By the time things settled down a bit, of course it fired right up. I have driven it now about five times and it fires right up now, so I think I am going to have to induce the problem again on purpose so I can trace it better. I am thinking now of replacing the coil, condenser, plugs, wires, distributor cap and points just so I can be certain of their status, although for the life of me, I could not find anything resembling a ballast resistor. I remember them well from my younger days, and I have seen replacement part images, so I do know what I am looking for. The truck was definatley re-wired not long ago and the wiring to the coil is confusing to me as it appears out of a harness that disappears into the firewall, leading me to beleive that if I have a ballast resistor, it must be on the passenger side of the firewall - did nto look their yet.

I now have about 5-10 hours driving here and must say I am getting more comfortable as I remember how to finesse a clutch again ( still rusty, especially on the numerous hills in my city)

Problems aside, this truck is quite enjoyable to drive and brings a smile to me every time I see her in the garage or driveway - I will get this fixed on day and also get a new flywheel as well ( grinding starter )

thanks for the help - hope this thread is useful for others


Joe Finkelstine
Born and bred in Motown