I recently concluded a similar odyssey in getting my 54/55 2-20 GMC COE registered. I won't go into the details but will add one other thing to consider (but, I was luckily able to avoid).
I failed to try to register this truck when I bought it in 2007 for $1,500.
I had a "defective" title and "defective" bill of sale.
Both the title holder and the seller have died in the time since I bought the truck.
If I had not been able to find a helpful/reasonable person at DMV (County Clerk Office), I would have had to get a bonded title (which would become a real title in 3 years if no one makes claim on the truck).
The amount of the bond would be the value of the truck. (the present appraised value, since I did not have valid sales-receipt/document)
The bad part of this (in my situation) would be that I would have to get an appraisal of the COE now:
- after I have almost finished restoring the truck (maybe 10x to 15x the amount I paid)
- because, I had a defective receipt: no date and no notary signature).
On my 5th trip to the DMV, I was served by a reasonable person (a friend of a friend) who was determined to find a way to work this out for me.
The moral of my story is:
1. have friends in high places
and/or
2. get your title resolved before restoring your "junker"
All states have ways to get/use/provide/accept a bonded title.
All states (I guess) want to get the taxes due on the sale of a used vehicle.