Hot rodding today is much easier, yet much more difficult than in the 1950's and 1960's; both because of the internet. wink

It is now much easier to ask questions rather than measure; and yet sometimes the answers we get are not understood because we either asked the wrong question, or didn't supply sufficient information when the question(s) was/were asked.

Jerry's comments about steering/stopping are VERY important! But with the internet, information about engine/transmission weights, dimensions, mountings are readily available. Find this information about the engine in question, do your measurements on your vehicle; and then spend some time with the math.

A few things to think about:

Weight - what will the new weight do to spring rates, weight distribution, brake load, etc.

Power - will the additional load on u-joints, rear gears, etc. require upgrades. How about traction with stock wheels/tires.

As far as asking questions about fit, I will relate a personal story, before the internet. Some 35 years ago, I decided to build a 1974 Pontiac GTO 350. I spent a couple of years in research, and pretty well had my build laid out, but I wanted to upgrade the exhaust. I personally detest headers on the street! The in-cabin noise is bad enough, but changing header gaskets with every moon change gets old in a hurry! Pontiac had offered some high performance exhaust manifolds on one of the factory ram air engines in a larger chassis. I knew it was going to be tight; but I also knew a couple of guys that were running the same chassis with performance builds, and I called (before the internet) each of them. Both had the performance manifolds on their cars. So I started looking for a set.

After building the engine, put the engine in the car. Simply could NOT line up the drivers side exhaust manifold! Tried everything I could think of. Pulled the engine, and installed the manifolds then reinstalled the engine. No way could I line up the mounts.

Finally, in desperation, called one of my friends, and we talked a couple of hours going over everthing. Finally it came to light that he had manual steering, mine was power. Got out the interchange manuals, and found a manual steering box. Sure enough, the power box was a quarter inch wider than the manual box. Ah success. Not so fast grasshopper!!! The power box used a different size pitman arm; and while the manual box was relatively easy from a different vehicle (Hollanders Interchange Manuals are a great aid), the pitman arm was unique, and more difficult to find than a needle in a Kansas hayfield!!! After several disappointments (wrong parts shipped, and returned) and a year and a half, I found one, for $200. plus freight (this was about 15 years ago). What can you do, I bought it. Finally, the problem was solved.

So the initial problem was mine, in NOT supplying sufficient information when I asked the question (will it fit), and not understanding the answer, when the answer (yes, it will fit) was what I wanted to hear.

So if someone tells you it cannot be done, listen, but do your own measurements; and if someone tells you it CAN be done, listen, but take your own measurements. The internet, mathematics, and physics are all your friends - use them.

My final build more than doubled the original engine's horsepower (same engine with some severe mods) and took over 800 pounds off of the cars original weight. So I KNOW about spring rates, shock loads, etc. from experience. I also improved the factory weight distribution from roughly 60/40 to 53/47. Really a nice driving "street sleeper".

Jon.


Good carburetion is fuelish hot air
The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one you attempt to modify.
If you truly believe "one size fits all," try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!
The Carburetor Shop