Originally Posted by dtwbcs
Jon ,
I was just cutting in half what I have on my 235- meaning getting only one. What readily available small 4barrel would you recommend?
Can always try& sell the Other.

Thanks , Danny

Danny - guess my question would be does your "readily available" mean readily available or inexpensive?

If you read my posts, you would probably infer that I like Carters, and you would be correct. The Carter 9400s which was superceded by the Carter 9410s are both rated 400 CFM (about the same as the Carter WCFB that was used on the Chevy 265 V-8 in 1955).

Not really a Holley guy, but some are; and Holley offered a 390 CFM 4-barrel.

There are other O.E. carbs out there if you look hard enough, that would require more tuning than either the Carter or the Holley.

Either the Carter or the Holley would have primaries which are SMALLER than the two-barrel for better low RPM performance (higher venturi velocity), yet have the secondary for higher RPM. Not sure what activates the Holley secondary, but the Carter secondary is an "on demand", meaning the secondary is activated when the engine asks for the extra air.

Holley tuning parts are available at every auto parts store in the world (does this mean that every Holley in the world needs tuning?? wink ); while the Carter uses the 10-201 strip kit (generally available by main order only).

I personally ran a Carter 9400 with excellent results for over 400,000 miles on my last shop truck (non-Chevrolet) with 300 CID 6 before the salt/cinders of Missouri winters destroyed the body for the third time. Once on the truck, it was never removed (until I junked the truck).

Jon.


Good carburetion is fuelish hot air
The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one you attempt to modify.
If you truly believe "one size fits all," try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!
The Carburetor Shop