When you take it apart, be sure to label each lifter as to the exact hole it came out of, and keep the rod with it. A lot of times you will find a number on the top of the piston. .010, .020, etc. That is the overbore size. This will help you with what size rings are installed.

I am not one of those who likes to live on the edge, so I take the engine apart labeling every little thing, but once it's all the way down to a bare block, I WILL take it to the machine shop. I let them clean, magnaflux and check the bore characteristics. The cost is nothing compared to something I could easily miss myself. Of course since its ME, I would also have the full flow modification done to the block for another $100 (it being a 261 it just makes sense to me). I would want them to inspect everything especially with a bent rod in play.


Deve

1950 Chevy 3100 Deluxe Cab
1950 Chevy 3100 Standard Cab
In the Stovebolt Gallery
The Think Tank
More info and tips at Deve's Technet