Yes, JLM. Truthfully, the machine shop would be able to tell you if the Head (Valve Guides, Valves, Springs, etc) is serviceable.

Before you do this, do a compression test first like JW51 suggests. If the numbers are around 100-110 or better and the same plus or minus 5psi or so then maybe its something different causing your problems, like too much fuel being dumped in. Too large of carb jet, or idle screw on the carb not adjusted correctly can cause wierd things. But I am like JW, I learned everything I know from here.

Then, if the easy doesnt work, the hard isn't that bad and if you are not depending on this vehicle to get you to and from work, you will learn a LOT about engines. We are here to help!


Deve

1950 Chevy 3100 Deluxe Cab
1950 Chevy 3100 Standard Cab
In the Stovebolt Gallery
The Think Tank
More info and tips at Deve's Technet