I have a 1946 2ton with a 1954 261 and 4spd tranny. Hadnt been run in 15+ years when i got it, previous owner said it needed a new water pump. Engine has no oil filter on it.
I put a new water pump and radiator, fuel pump and rebuilt carb. Ran all new fuel lines to a 5 gal gas can. New plugs points, wires, coil and rotor +cap.
I pre oiled the engine with an electric drill, set the distrubutor with the ball on flywheel right on TDC, i also adjusted the valves. the engine fired right up, but backfired pretty bad, i think i had the mixture screw to rich, i leaned it out and now it doesnt backfire at all....I was running some rotella T6 thru it and dumping it to clean out the engine.
Now the problem- i forgot to hook up the throttle linkage one time and when i fired it up it went pretty much full throttle...i shut it down pretty quick, anyways after that it start to smoke.about 15 sec after starting it lightly smokes, a little heavier under throttle but a bigger puff when you let off the gas..
I noticed the #3 CYL exhaust valve rod looked like it was dancing all over the place...i pulled it and straightened it with a hammer, it had scrape marks 1/2 down on the side. put it back in adjusted the lash but seemed to make no difference in the smoke.
#3 and #4 cylinders plugs are oily when i pull them. Any suggestions? I plan on pulling the motor anyways to clean it up and paint it. Although when i 1st changed the pugs #3 and #4 were much dirtier than the others
Is it expensive to have the head rebuilt? or can i just put new guides and rods and valves in it or something like that? i dont really have and experience in engine rebuilding.
Should i get compression gauges and check my compression as well? Truck is only showing 35,000 miles but mileage is unknown on the newer engine