I have searched the internet. I know mismatch front and rear axle ratios is not good. I know that there must be some sort of tolerance to this. I want to use a 3.73 rear with a 3.92 front. Cant find any 3.92 diffs in my area that will work. I do not want to pay for, or know how to, rebuild the present rear. I want to buy a used rear. The net says anywhere from 1% to 10% mix match is OK. Need to know what the Stovebolt community thinks/knows about this. I don't even know how to figure the per cent. Is it 3.92/3.73= 1.05% or is it 3.92-3.73=.19= 5%. ??? If I get a 3.73, I can get a 12 Bolt instead of the present 10 bolt. Truck is a 1960 GMC, 6 lug, 4x4 about 60" WMS-WMS. I believe it is a HO35 (old corporate 10 bolt).

Second question: I believe the HO35 is 55-62. I can find some 55-59 diffs. Most are 3.90/3.92, that's good...BUT why do they have a WWI helmet cover and mine has a ring gear bulge cover??? Did they just change the cover? Do I not have an HO35? Is it a GMC thing? I will check my diff cast numbers, The ring gear is dated 1960.


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn