I learned stick welding years ago in high school and that was OK. Then my brother showed me MIG welding and I thought "Hey, this is much better than stick welding".
Then more recently I was over at my friends machine shop and was building my
engine hoist and engine stand and also my
tow bar and used his TIG welder. I had never used one before and one of his shop technicians gave me a 5 minute lesson. In no time at all I was getting excellent welds. I like the foot pedal to precisely control the current and the filler rod to add extra material to the weld joint.
When I get ready to buy a welder I'm definitely getting a TIG. His unit is a Lincoln and it works great...and it also has the ability to do stick welding for the thicker metals...
Just my thoughts on the matter
