Sorry I came late to this thread. I'd just like to throw in my 2 cents in favor of the 110v MIG.

I've used gas, stick, MIG, TIG and even a couple times an anvil, a forge, and a hammer. They all have their place. (as far as I'm concerned the Forge's place is in the history books... THAT WORK!)

For the most part, though, I learned to weld while building theatrical scenery. Our shop had 3 of the little 110v "MIGlets" on rolling carts. (They got called "barbie dream welders" by the lead fabricator... chief user of the beastly TIG.) The guy who taught me told me to make "toothpaste" noises while laying a bead across a fillet. He then proceded to blow a big raspberry and lay down a really nice bead. Once you realize that a mig is nothing more than an overgrown, noisy hot-glue gun, it becomes second nature... like driving a drywall screw or shooting a pneumatic tool.

We've had really good luck with miller and lincoln, and a buddy of mine has a really nice little 110V Hobart. Build yourself a little cart with space for the welder, a small tank, a place to hang your helmet, jacket, and gloves... even put a little drawer in there for a spare spool and tip cleaner. (great first practice project)

Anyway.. Go for it. Take it slow. Buy a few extra grinding wheels. And most importantly... take it easy on the "toothpaste noises". You just have to wipe out the inside of your helmet.

-J


'52 3800 Panel
School bus conversion... Glass all around. (check the gallery!)

outside of a dog, a book is a man's best freind.
inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
-Groucho Marx