In the world of jack stands vs. ramps jack stands will win every time in my garage. Here is why.
1. to be safe, you need to use the proper jack stand. One with a locking pin of the ratchet adjuster so that it will not slip.
2. Make sure you place the stand on a sound location on the frame that is FLAT. This ensures that the truck will not shake off the stands.
3. PERFORM A SAFETY INSPECTION PRIOR TO GETTING UNDER THE TRUCK! Usually while I am wrenching some of my kids are playing close by. I make the truck stable enough that the kids can play on the truck while I am working on it.
4. Jack stands take up far less space than the ramps on the floor and working area around the truck.
5. Jack stands will allow you to put the truck higher in the air.