I don't care for the ratchet type of jack stands. I have seen them slip because the pawl wasn't on far enough and I have seen the teeth rip right off of cheap ones. One our trucks, this is the jack stand we use.
http://www.zoro.com/i/G2007293/?utm...eed&gclid=CJXvr9SJ6sICFc1_MgodUxAAgQThis would be overkill for a pickup, but it is the only type of jack stand I really trust.
These are the ramps we use when we service our trucks.
http://www.otctools.com/products/20-ton-wide-truck-loading-rampsThey look pretty safe, but we had an incident not very long ago that could have been a tragedy. One of our guys did not have both wheels over the stop. One of the wheels was balanced on the stop. While he was in the tool room, the ramp shot out from under the truck and hit a locker that we keep supplies in. It wrecked the locker to where the door wouldn't shut. Of course all the conditions were just right. They hadn't done a good clean up after the previous service and it was right before a norther and the concrete had sweated.
The bottom line is, I don't let my guys get under a vehicle unless it has wheels on it. If it has wheels on it, it may fall to the point where you are stuck and have to wait for someone to jack the vehicle up. I've been there before. But if the vehicle has no wheels, it will probably be worse than the person just being stuck.
These are the jack stands I use on pickups etc.
http://www.otctools.com/products/3-ton-capacity-ratcheting-jack-standshttp://www.qualitytoolsforless.com/otc-1733a-3-ton-jack-stands-pair/They are actual OTC, not their Stinger line which is cheap Chinese stuff. If I were to work on a master cylinder, I would leave the wheels on and support the vehicle with the OTC jack stands. Once I was done under the vehicle, I would work on the wheel cylinders one wheel at a time and make sure I never got under the vehicle.