The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (klhansen, Nick in Manitou, TooMany2count), 322 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,140
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#928183 03/17/2013 11:08 AM
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 543
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 543
At last report I'd had the system flushed. Then idled for 30 min and laser gun said 174 on the block. I called The Filling Station yesterday and was told by tech to idle with cap off to bleed air out... Did that and yes, small bubbles started coming up..then looked like steam but no hard boil. Water temp at the end was 185. Gauge is a 49..not a 56 so it's likely toast and needs to be replaced. I still dunno if I'm overheating or not...didn't like seeing steam coming off the water. Also not sure if gas gauge is right and ammeter is off too. Maybe need to replace the whole cluster... ?


Mark
1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
Lucielle
Name after my Uncle's Wife..

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures on Photobucket

If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. ... Will Rogers
Dogface #928194 03/17/2013 11:47 AM
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
Haven't you ever watched a tea kettle heat up? Or seen a bathroom faucet steam in a cool room?

Drill a 1/8" hole in a new thermostat and replace the radiator cap with a 160 and put it on and run it. Your worrying too much.


1953 Chevy 5-window 3100
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Picturetrail

Dave
Engine & Driveline Moderator

If you can't make seventy by an easy road, don't go. ~~ Mark Twain
Dogface #928198 03/17/2013 11:57 AM
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 543
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 543
Put in a new 160 thermostat Friday...why the 1/8" hole ? Easy to buy a new cap.

Yes, I guess I do worry cuz I don't wanna fry the engine. Admittedly, I'm new at all this...so thanks for the help... smile


Mark
1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
Lucielle
Name after my Uncle's Wife..

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures on Photobucket

If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. ... Will Rogers
Dogface #928202 03/17/2013 12:11 PM
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
The holes to let trapped air purge. ...pic...

The last stat I purchased had a little check valve buit into the flange to do the same thing.


Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
I don't know what kind of rad cap you are getting but I would suggest not going over 7 lbs. A 4 lb cap would be good.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0