The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 163 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,141
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#827114 02/17/2012 10:22 AM
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
W
Socket Breaker
Socket Breaker
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
antifreeze on the floorboard in my 1965 C10... hmn, that's not supposed to be there.

Coolant dripping out of the heater itself and onto the floor... then I check under the hood and it's dripping out there too and onto the frame rail.

I'm suspecting the heater core... now, I just gotta figure out how to take it out.

Now perusing section 13 in my '63 and '65 shop manuals. I haven't made it over to the assembly manual yet.

This looks like I am in for some cussin'.

-W


Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,262
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,262
Well, on the bright side, you won't be laying on your back, upside down in the cab like you would on newer trucks. thumbs_up

Good luck, and of course we'll be expecting a photo journal of the repair.


In the Stovebolt Gallery ~~ "The Orange Crate" 1965 C10 SWB Step Side Build Thread

Inspired to be different. Different in a way of my own, not in a way that others strive.
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 319
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 319
I think the cleanup will be harder than changing out the core. Just be sure to get the right one, I think there's 3 different cores.

cm


If you can't fix it with a hammer and screwdriver, you need a bigger hammer.
1965 Chevy C10
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,552
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,552
Remove the two speed nuts on the inside of the cab, behind the under-hood box, allowing the under-hood box to be removed from the firewall, upon removing the 5 hex-head lag screws, from the snorkel of the under-hood box, affixing it to the firewall. This must be done, in order to access the four tiny 1/4" head lag screws on the back of the under-hood box, along with the numerous others around the perimeter of the top cover, thus allowing the box to split apart, exposing the heater core.

Perhaps this will eliminate some of the cussing! Good luck and keep us posted.

Last edited by 4-5-6 Chevy Trucks; 02/19/2012 5:56 PM.
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
W
Socket Breaker
Socket Breaker
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
Geez Tony,

that's exactly what I needed to know... before I started.

ha ha ha. Thanks a bunch for the reply tho'!

You musta posted that right after I checked this thread earlier.

That is exactly what you must do folks!


O'Reillys has this in their system :

Murray - Heater Core
Part Number: 398224

I ordered one, we'll see if it fits tomorrow.

-W

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
W
Socket Breaker
Socket Breaker
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
Well, that part fit my application... and I put some new hoses on there as well and buttoned it all back up. So far, so good. I hope that fixed it.

The duct work tube on the passenger side came apart, unwound and started looking like a slinky. I duct taped it back together until I can get some new ones.


-W

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
W
Socket Breaker
Socket Breaker
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
my heater box reassembly photos...

-W


p.s. after perusing a few vendor parts sites that sell pieces for our trucks... most of 'em want around 75-85 dollars for the same heater core.

O'Reilly had it for $34.xx(tax included).

Maybe the vendor ones are precise exact copies or something? I dunno, but thought I'd add that in here.

Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,718
H
Moderator: 60-66 Trucks; North Eastern Bolters
Moderator: 60-66 Trucks; North Eastern Bolters
H Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,718
Thanks for the photos. It has been so long since y heater came out, good review for putting it back in.


~ HB
1966 Chevrolet K-10 | Ghost: formerly Flappy Fenders | In the Stovebolt Gallery
1962 Chevrolet C10
1962 Suburban
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,718
H
Moderator: 60-66 Trucks; North Eastern Bolters
Moderator: 60-66 Trucks; North Eastern Bolters
H Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,718
Thanks for the photos. It has been so long since my heater came out, good review for putting it back in.


~ HB
1966 Chevrolet K-10 | Ghost: formerly Flappy Fenders | In the Stovebolt Gallery
1962 Chevrolet C10
1962 Suburban
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
W
Socket Breaker
Socket Breaker
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893

Hambone - your '62 might be a little different, they changed some things along the way within the heater box, according to the shop manuals. The main assembly is probably very similar tho'.

-W

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
W
Socket Breaker
Socket Breaker
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
I wandered into this old thread of mine and noticed the URL for the photos up above was no longer good... this post here has the current URL for the photos.


my heater box reassembly photos...


-W

April 2015


Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 313
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 313
I just replaced mine a few months ago. Got a heater core at Advance Auto for $34.00, and installed it in less than a hour. I did have to make slight modifications for proper fit.

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
W
Socket Breaker
Socket Breaker
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
Thought I'd add this in here too...

fellow stove-bolter Burgie - wonderful heater assembly article for our trucks

Even tho' I have it linked on my page there... for folks who do future searches.

-W

Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,262
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,262
Nice diagram and article thumbs_up

_____
John


Moderated by  Hambone, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0