The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (Hotrod Lincoln, 1955 1 Series, TexasA&M48Truck, CandoBrent, Forty9, TUTS 59, MikeStone1953), 140 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,106
Posts1,056,211
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Well in my quest to find the perfect “Thrift master” logo for the 216 valve cover I’ve now attempted it with a vinyl stencil. Here is the sequence of operations to get to the painted logo. I’ve thinned out the final job a little with rubbing compound to weather it a tiny bit. http://www.pbase.com/dennygraham/under_hood&page=12
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL



Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 502
Y
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Y Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 502
Man Looks good to me! I thought about doing the same thing for my fleet of 49's

It looks like you trimmed the stencil frames so that there are no dividers between letter centers and there outsides like the center of an a-Did you tape those down?





1949 Chevy 4400 Big Red
1949 Chevy 3600 Bob's Truck
1949 Chevy 3100 The Investment
1949 Chevy 3800 the Won Ton

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
Denny, that is both clever and great looking. I especially like your paint booth!
Nice job.


1953 Chevy 5-window 3100
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Picturetrail

Dave
Engine & Driveline Moderator

If you can't make seventy by an easy road, don't go. ~~ Mark Twain
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,961
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,961
That looks good. You were lucky that you had enough left of the old one to make a pattern. I must have looked at a thousand of them when I checked oil at our gas stations. I knew it was some kind of script, but I would have been hard pressed to duplicate it.

Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,859
S
Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats
Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,859
I think I have the same paint booth.


The problems we face today can not be addressed at the same level of intelligence we were at when we created them - Albert Einstein Or with the same level of $ - Me
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
Denny,that's really nice,you should sell them.I also love the paint booth.


1951 3100 Chevrolet
1951 Chevrolet Suburban Carryall
Image
"A house is built with boards and beams. A home is built with love and dreams."
"Look deep before you leap !!!" / "Everything is Everything"
"If I say a mouse can pull a house, hitch him up"
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Denny, thanks for sharing. And thanks for such documentation. You will never know how much you have helped the stovebolt world....and the rest of you guys who do such meticulous and detailed work and documentation.
Heck, it may help my grandson one day!


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Yeah, half that truck's been painted in that old cardboard box. At one time I even had a pancake fan and drier hose sucking fumes from the bottom to the outside.

To get the stencils cut I had to go with a couple of dozen of them. After making some adjustments to the letter spacing I had them cut and tried the first one. It was to late to change them but it struck me that I could have eliminated the dividers, so I spent a few minutes trimming and patching the first one with the X-Acto knife and some masking tape.
I've seen the original logos with and some without the stencil dividers; I suppose it depended on which plant they were coming out of. Wish I could have them made as cheap as the stickers but these were much more expensive to make especially in very small quantities. But, they are painted as the original was and you don't have a clear carrier outline that the stickers have to give it away.

Well I hope the 'Bolt is still around for your grandson Alvin and I hope I can keep up my album for years to come. I want to thank Woody for turning me on to the pbase album, it's really a pleasure not to have to put up with the crap that Webshots, Photobucket and the others shove at you.
Denny Graham
Sandwich

Last edited by Denny Graham; 12/26/2009 12:17 AM.

Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,602
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,602
Denny: You've done a great job! That cover looks like it came that way which is what most of us shoot for. And you always seem to be one of the best!


Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 461
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 461
Nice work and attention to detail Denny. You should make and sell the vinyl stencil.

HANK


1951 restoration on website
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.hanklong.com
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Don't think there would be a big demand for them Hank. I had the guy cut me a couple of dozen because that was his minumum and it cost me five bucks each, now all I have to do is restore two dozen more trucks to justify the project.
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 461
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 461
Well heck Denny, I'll buy a stencil from you. Just p.m. me if you want to sell one. Thanks,

Hank

Last edited by Hankdogg; 01/03/2010 7:21 AM.

1951 restoration on website
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.hanklong.com
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 461
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 461
Denny,

I sent ya a P.M. and I gotta post up and say if you don't pick up one his stencils you are missing out on a heck of a good deal. Top quality product with a perfectionist attention to detail. You simply will not find anything like this out there. Thank you Denny smile

Hank


1951 restoration on website
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.hanklong.com

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0