The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Otto Skorzeny, Bill Hanlon, Hotrod Lincoln, Cletus1950, Wayne67vert), 198 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,106
Posts1,056,217
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 220
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 220
I have a 1964 1/2 ton that I am working on. While I know I can purchase completed wiring harnesses or purchase a kit, I prefer to make my own. It's just the way I am. I want to say I did it myself.
So my question is this;
On the main wiring harness under the dash there are two places that the harness exits through the firewall. One has wires to the engine and the other for lights, horn, etc. (not the taillight harness connection). These harnesses have a hard plastic holder ? that keeps them in place. How do you remove these connectors from the firewall without destroying them. I'm good at that part.

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
I believe there's a couple of screws holding the two blocks together. I think you'll have to remove a couple of the fuses to get to them on the fuse panel one,
Scott


Scott Ward

2 1948 1.5-ton Loadmasters
The red one and The snow pusher
1 1950 3100
1 1955.1 Chevy 6500
1 1954 Chevy 6500 2-Ton
1 1955 1st Series COE 5700
1 1963 K20 (454)
1 1964 C10 (350)
1 1951 1.5-ton Dump Truck
1953 and a 1956 Ford F800

Raising a teenager is like trying to nail Jello to a tree!
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There should be one small bolt in the center on the plug on the outside under the hood & there may be 2(or 4) screws on the inside around the fuse box. ZooKeeper

Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 220
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 220
Thanks for the comments. However not the fuse box, I am looking at the connectors. One is located above the fuse box the other in the upper portion of the transmission hump near the top of the firewall. I did go and look for the bolts ZooKeeper and did get the bigger of the two (located over the fuse box) to spin/twist and come apart. Maybe the other will do the same, it is just hardened with age?

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,384
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,384
I just cut the rubber grommet, they are available aftermarket for cheap. Brian


My \'64\'s in the Gallery
Pictures in my Photobucket
1964 C10 Custom Cab 350/700R4
1964 Suburban 350/700R4
1979 Ford F350 4x4 400/c6
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 220
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 220
Thanks 64fleetside.
I have looked online and see ones at American Autowire (page 38 of their online catalog). Are these the ones you refer to? Or is there another source you use?
By the way, I see in your signature that you have a 64 Suburban with a 350/700R4. Mine is a C10 fleetside short bed with the same combo. I use a 3.08 rear out of a 71. Get about 2000 rpm at 65 and love it. That's another thread. Talk with you later.
Again thanks to everyone here.

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,384
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,384
Rusty, I got mine thru either American Classics or Classic Parts of America(ChevyDuty). A firewall grommet set is available. My burb has a 3.73, I really haven't driven it much(still doing bodywork) but I had the combo in my fleetside using a 3.42 rear-love that overdrive! Its a completely different truck compared to the TH400 that was in it. Brian


My \'64\'s in the Gallery
Pictures in my Photobucket
1964 C10 Custom Cab 350/700R4
1964 Suburban 350/700R4
1979 Ford F350 4x4 400/c6

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0