The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Wheelie, tclederman, Woodcmiami), 113 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,279
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#993003 12/17/2013 12:14 AM
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 45
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 45
Hello all,
My name is Ron, I live in northern Ca. I just picked up a 1950 GMC 1/2 ton 5 window. I plan on doing a street rod out of it. I will be doing a frame off, and adding corvette suspension. Not sure of the motor yet. I have a 383 stroker sitting in the garage, but was also thinking modern fuel injected motor. I will be using a 700r4 tranny. My first question is Who has the best quality replacement body panels? There are so many companies selling parts for these trucks. I just want to get feed back on who is good, and who to stay away from.
Thanks,
Ron


1950 Gmc 100
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Welcome to the Stovebolt, Ron. There is so much info here you will never run out of something to read or check on.

Since this is the Welcome Centre your question would be best answered in the Paint and Body Forum. Not everyone coming into the forums stop in the welcome centre but go straight to their area of expertise and then branch out to the other forums.

.... but since you ask. Most of the panels will be made by the same company or probably no more than two. Its been said over and over that regardless of where they come from they will most likely require some "fitting". Especially when you realize how these trucks were used, repaired and even assembled at the factories back then.
Around here on the East coast I dare say JimCarter and Classic Parts probably gets the bulk of the business but there are others. Then you have the Truck Shop which is in your state of California. I personally have ordered floor pans from them, mainly because of price, and have been satisfied...... I will add that JimCarter does have some panels, or he did just a few short years ago, that are made in the USA. When I visited there I was told the primered looking panels were USA made and the shiny black pieces are all from across the water.
Depending on whether its a burb, panel or pickup there is a guy here who hand makes some panels.

Take a little time to learn your way around here on the bolt. Check out the Links section and the tech tips along with learning how to do a search. There is just so much here.
....and, since you are new you are "moderated" for your first 4 post which is to help keep this site free from spammers and other unwanted guest. After 4 post you will then be able to send PM's (private messages) and enjoy all the benefits of being a Stovebolter. Good luck, we're here to help and don't be shy. Visit often, and post a pic of your truck when you can.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,215
Leo Offline
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,215
Hi Ron, welcome. Hard to add anything worthwhile to Alvin's comprehensive reply. Original parts are the best, if they are in good shape, but virtually impossible to find anymore. Have fun with your project.

Leo


Moderated by  Achipmunk, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0