The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (klhansen), 158 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,141
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 6
M
New Guy
New Guy
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 6
I just bought 1950 1 ton single rear wheel 8 lug truck, It has the adjusters that you turn with a wrench from behind. Is there a way to back of the brakes, the drums wont slide off even with help from a hammer. Which way do you turn the bolts to adjust brakes. Any help would be great

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 396
1
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
1 Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 396
An excellent Christmas present to yourself would be a shop manual which will answer that question plus a lot of others that will come up, otherwise, some guru will be along shortly with your info. Welcome to the StoveBolt and enjoy the ride.



Jerry
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Mike, until you get a shop manual or/and an assembly manual you may find what your looking for here at the Chevy Online Manuals project that is the brain storm of a bolter Keith Hardy.

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
E
Crusing in the Passing Lane
Crusing in the Passing Lane
E Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
Generally speaking, the way to remember which direction to adjust brakes, if you bang your knuckles on the spring, you are tightening them, and conversly.


'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 6
M
New Guy
New Guy
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 6
ok, clockwise to tighten, according to the one manual. I'm modifying a gear puller to get drums off the first time, then loosen up brake cylinders. Wheels turn, but drums are stuck on, thanks for the manuals I can now pick the one that will help me the best

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
Maybe you want to take the whole hub off with the drum. Those drums are very hard to come by so you really don't want to harm them.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 396
1
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
1 Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 396
To remove drum, 3 fairly long pry bars and a BFH, Beat on the edge of drum on outside, Insert one pry bar at approx 2:00 O'clock position, one at about 6:00 and third at about 2:00
Beat some more on drum and drive in pry bars, beat some more, drive in bars, You should see some movement,if yes, keep at it. If not remove brake cylinded ffrom rear of backing plate this should get you some movement.report back here with progress or fail report. We will assist you further if you experience a Fail. Good luck, Jerry DO NOT DESTROY the drum, They are as scarce as hens teeth.



Jerry
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
...hmmm, I see we have TWO bars at 2:00 position. But I think we understand. It should be 10:00 smile


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 396
1
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
1 Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 396
I stand corrected Alvin, good catch
Jerry



Jerry
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 48
N
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
N Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 48
There are two screws holding them on that fill with rust and dirt so they aren't easily noticed, the screwdriver slot is huge. I normally have to use a giant screwdriver and turn it with pliers or get them started with a chisel before they turn. If you already have these screws removed then you are in for a rough time.


1950 3804 Pickup
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 568
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 568
I bought a impact/screw driver. Hold it with one hand and smack it with a hammer. Got it from Mac tools years ago. Works killer.


I can explain it to you, I can't understand it for you.

Moderated by  Dusty53 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0