The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Bill Hanlon, DES57, Tom McGrath), 118 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,117
Posts1,056,296
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#991458 12/09/2013 12:35 AM
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 815
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 815
Besides shifting to neutral, is there anything else I need to know when I remove it. It would be easier to get under the dash if it was out of the way. 53 1/2 ton. Thanks

Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 24
T
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
T Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 24
Put it in neutral, push down on the ball the shift rod runs through and give a quarter turn (can't remember which way but it only goes one way) and pull it out. Mine was easy enough I could do it by hand.

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
Counter clock ways.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263

Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 815
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 815
Thanks guys. Good pics Gus. Steve

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
Looking at the video I would say there is something wrong with the spring inside the shifter. There is no way you should be able to take it out with your fingers like that. That shift could disconnect on the road.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
Originally Posted by truckernix
Looking at the video I would say there is something wrong with the spring inside the shifter. There is no way you should be able to take it out with your fingers like that. That shift could disconnect on the road.

thanks
I will check out the condition of the spring. I do have to push down then turn ccw.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
If the ball and assembly is clean you can remove it that easily. It is a positive lock that requires a push and a turn but it is easily done with your fingers. The movements do not mirror what you do while driving they are separate and distinct.

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
Originally Posted by Brad Allen
If the ball and assembly is clean you can remove it that easily.
Agreed, I've removed bunches of them with my fingers, it usually is that easy, takes about 2 or 3 seconds.

They've got to be in pretty sad shape with rust and or hard grease to need any sort of tool to remove.

Grigg


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Agreed, usually no tool is needed, however, here is the instruction and the tool.

Tool #3 and part number.

And, three photos of the tool.

When I have found a tough-to-remove shift-handle, a large vise grip or slip-joint pliers does the job (shift-left, as shown on the tool).


Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
I was going from my experience on mine and I believe the spring is too strong for me to do that with my fingers. It is not rusty or encrusted.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 815
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 815
Thanks Tim, that is a neat old tool.Where in the heck did you find that? Steve

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Steve,

I found those photos on the Internet.

Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,254
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,254
Unless gunked up pretty bad they do come off fairly easy.


Dennis
-there is nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer-
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 815
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 815
Thanks everyone, it turned out to be easier than I thought.


Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0