Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,115 Posts1,056,294 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Aug 2011 Posts: 815 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2011 Posts: 815 | Besides shifting to neutral, is there anything else I need to know when I remove it. It would be easier to get under the dash if it was out of the way. 53 1/2 ton. Thanks | | | | | Joined: Jun 2012 Posts: 24 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jun 2012 Posts: 24 | Put it in neutral, push down on the ball the shift rod runs through and give a quarter turn (can't remember which way but it only goes one way) and pull it out. Mine was easy enough I could do it by hand. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 |
See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet! My Blog | | | | | Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 4,263 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 4,263 | | | | | | Joined: Aug 2011 Posts: 815 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2011 Posts: 815 | Thanks guys. Good pics Gus. Steve | | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 | Looking at the video I would say there is something wrong with the spring inside the shifter. There is no way you should be able to take it out with your fingers like that. That shift could disconnect on the road. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 4,263 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 4,263 | Looking at the video I would say there is something wrong with the spring inside the shifter. There is no way you should be able to take it out with your fingers like that. That shift could disconnect on the road. thanks I will check out the condition of the spring. I do have to push down then turn ccw. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 3,596 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 3,596 | If the ball and assembly is clean you can remove it that easily. It is a positive lock that requires a push and a turn but it is easily done with your fingers. The movements do not mirror what you do while driving they are separate and distinct. | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 . | | . Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 | If the ball and assembly is clean you can remove it that easily. Agreed, I've removed bunches of them with my fingers, it usually is that easy, takes about 2 or 3 seconds. They've got to be in pretty sad shape with rust and or hard grease to need any sort of tool to remove. Grigg | | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 | I was going from my experience on mine and I believe the spring is too strong for me to do that with my fingers. It is not rusty or encrusted. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2011 Posts: 815 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2011 Posts: 815 | Thanks Tim, that is a neat old tool.Where in the heck did you find that? Steve | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | Steve,
I found those photos on the Internet.
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,254 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,254 | Unless gunked up pretty bad they do come off fairly easy.
Dennis -there is nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer-
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2011 Posts: 815 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2011 Posts: 815 | Thanks everyone, it turned out to be easier than I thought. | | |
| |