The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (1955 1 Series, 49choptop, 3800GUY, Shade Baby), 99 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,110
Posts1,056,274
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#986051 11/13/2013 6:50 PM
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 8
C
New Guy
New Guy
C Offline
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 8
This is my 1951 Chevy shortbed 3100 with the original 216 motor, original 3-on-the-tree shifter, and original 6-lug wheels.

I bought this truck in August 2007 in Millington, Tennessee, while assigned to the Navy Personnel Command. I spent two years in Millington as a geo-bachelor (my wife and kids stayed home in Florida while I was stationed in Millington). My lovely wife recommended I buy an old truck to occupy all my "free-time" while away from the family.

I first bought a 1953 1/2-ton from a gentleman in Dyersburg, TN, but could not get the vehicle registered as he had given me a title from a 1953 sedan. After a long and fruitless search for the truck's title, the seller offered to return payment for the truck. The very next week, I found this 1951 truck advertised on the bulletin board at the Navy Exchange on base. I immediately called the owner, looked at the truck and purchased it that same day. This truck was cheaper than the 1953 and in better overall condition.

The individual I purchased the truck from had replaced the hood, doors and left-side fenders with those from a 1954 parts truck. He had intended to restore the truck, but his wife was injured in an auto accident and he needed to sell the truck in order to make his home wheelchair accessible.

The truck had the original seat covering and the interior had not been unduly molested (dash and radio opening have not been cut up). The truck chassis is nice and straight and, except for the hideous color, the body panels are solid and rust-free (don't let that little bit of surface rust fool ya ... purely cosmetic!).

Except for a few days on the back-roads of Tennessee for a drink or two at the Shake Rag watering hole, the truck sat in front of my hooch for the remainder of my time in Millington ... so much for "free time".

In April 2008, I returned to Florida with truck in tow and have since conducted a frame-off “budget” restoration. I did all the actual deconstruction and rebuild myself, and farmed out all the things I have neither the talent, tools or time to attempt myself. My intent was to get the truck running as a daily driver beach-cruiser but, as the build progressed, I dug deeper into the wallet to satisfy my obsessive-compulsive disorder for doing things “right”.

I replaced the 216 with a 235 I found on Craigslist. The motor was out of an old panel truck which had rusted away around the motor. The seller poured some gas into the carb, hot-wired the starter, and the thing fired up! I took the motor to Precision Crankshaft in Jacksonville, Florida for a complete rebuild. The motor now runs beautifully. The tires that were on the truck literally fell apart at about 2-years into the build so, at that time, I pulled the axles, installed new bearings, inspected and relubed the differential, and rebuilt the drum brakes. I looked for a cheap set of tires just to see it through the remainder of the build and, whaddayaknow, found a set of Coker whitewalls at a garage sale on Craigslist. The tires were still in the original wrapping and are correct for the truck. The only major change to the truck, as a safety precaution, was to install a power-brake booster and dual-chamber master cylinder so the truck will actually stop when I need it to. My buddy, Bob Ramsey, installed the wiring harness and ensured the electrical system was A-OK. He also suffers from a bit of OCD and was absolutely meticulous in building the electrical system and securing all connections with watertight fittings. The electrical system, from front-to-back, looks like a factory install. Thanks Bob!

Besides the motor and the WWW tires, Craigslist also provided local sources for: a replacement hood; a “new-in-box” Chevy bow-tie tailgate; and two unopened boxes of Dynamat soundproofing for the cab. I got amazing deals on all these parts vice ordering from a commercial vendor.

My rebuild took three full years, working on the truck only 1 day each week (Saturdays). The interior was made by Terry Brothers Auto Trim in Atlantic Beach, FL., while the excellent bodywork and flawless blue paint was performed by Auto Marine Industrial (AMI), also located in Atlantic Beach. Reaching the end of my military assignment in Jacksonville in May 2011, and with orders in-hand to a one-year tour in the Middle East, I pulled the truck out of the shop, put it on a trailer, and put it into storage for the next 12 months. I returned from the Middle East in May of 2012, did some pre-op prep on the truck, got it fired up and have been enjoying driving it ever since. I still have a few bits and pieces to install to make the truck complete. My next upgrade is to install the Trique Mfg Altman Easy-Latches to allow my doors to close without having to slam them. I did take a first place trophy at the very first Cruise-In in which I put the truck on display. I do prefer to drive it rather than show it.

I have lots of pictures of the rebuild and final results in my Dropbox folder, feel free to take a look:

Last edited by Peggy M; 05/03/2025 5:58 PM.
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,518
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,518
Really nice work you did there,truck looks amazing- congrats, and thanks for your sacrifice and service in the Armed Forces.
Steve


1953 Chevrolet 3100
261 cu inch, sm420, 3.55 rear, torque tube still,omaha orange, still 6 volt, RPO green glass, side carrier spare, all done
In the DITY Gallery
Video of the 261 running

1964 GMC 1000
305 Big Block V6, sm420, the next cab off restoration
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
thumbs_up thumbs_up Two thumbs up. Way to go and nice story.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 8
C
New Guy
New Guy
C Offline
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 8
Thanks Steve and Achipmunk. Been a long road so far and I still have miles to go. The truck is a blast to drive even if that ole three-speed doesn't like to venture any higher than about 45 mph!
~ Carl

Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 8
C
New Guy
New Guy
C Offline
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 8
Achipmunk, how difficult was the 305 transplant ... and at what cost? My budget (and technical abilities) kept me from going with an engine upgrade during my restoration, but the more I think about it ... it may be a future project. The 235 runs well, but the 3-speed tranny just doesn't motivate to today's normal highway speeds. BTW, your two trucks look great!
~ Carl

Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 255
E
'Bolter
'Bolter
E Offline
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 255
Sweet looking truck. I grew up in Atlantic Beach. Navy brat. Used the auto hobby shop at Mayport to rebuild my hand me down 61 Mercury Comet, my dad's Chevy wagon and my brothers 72 Corvette after I blew it up while he was deployed. Can't beat the facilities. Miss having all those resources in that area. Again, nice truck, you do some good work. Jim

Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,718
H
Moderator: 60-66 Trucks; North Eastern Bolters
Moderator: 60-66 Trucks; North Eastern Bolters
H Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,718
Carl, good story. Sounds like a wife worth spoiling if she suggests buying an old truck to occupy the geo Bach time. If you make it up the coast to Norfolk be sure to look us up. Odss. I spent one tour at Cecil until they closed the doors. Many hours at Atlantic beach.


~ HB
1966 Chevrolet K-10 | Ghost: formerly Flappy Fenders | In the Stovebolt Gallery
1962 Chevrolet C10
1962 Suburban
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Carl, PM sent.

You may also consider the S-10 5speed some guys are using and going to but if you can land an engine and tranny reasonably you may be able to convert to V8 and not spend a whole lot more money than what you will to go 5speed.????



1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 8
C
New Guy
New Guy
C Offline
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 8
Thanks Hambone, You must be a "pointy-nose" guy if stationed at Cecil ... I'm a helo bubba still on active duty. I have a couple of go-fast friends in the NORVA area with whom I still keep in touch. Assuming we are somewhat in the same year group, maybe you know: Mike "Normy" Wallace (AIRLANT COS)... Mike "Sky" Crane (Deputy AIRLANT) ... or maybe Kenny "Sheboy" Whitesell (PERS-42 in Millington)?
Thanks for the note ... and where can I see pics of your 62?

Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,718
H
Moderator: 60-66 Trucks; North Eastern Bolters
Moderator: 60-66 Trucks; North Eastern Bolters
H Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,718
Peggy (Queen SB bee) must have put you up to that. She has been asking for my Gallery page for many years now. Pictures are late by many years but are forthcoming.


~ HB
1966 Chevrolet K-10 | Ghost: formerly Flappy Fenders | In the Stovebolt Gallery
1962 Chevrolet C10
1962 Suburban
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
J
24601
24601
J Offline
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
Indeed -- Very nicely done, Carl (Both the truck itself and your write up with pictures -- a novel concept for some ... wink ). But that's how the Rotary Wing Community rolls. Thank you for setting a good example for the stiff wing community delinquents around here.

If you ever find your way up the Coast, be sure to look us all up!

Semper Fi,
John


~ John

A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.

1949 Chevrolet 3804
In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum
1973 IH 1310 Dump
1963 Kaiser M38A1
2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"
2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,076
Authorized Pest
Authorized Pest
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,076
Hamboney! For shame. Who rode along with you for HOURS, taking your story down in short hand? Then got it off to you asap so you could tighten up the time gaps???

For shame!

Carl, give him the dickens. Not only do we mostly have his story but we must have a zillion pictures of his truck.

Oh, here's his link in the Bolt Bucket.

For shame.

Wait til I see you today, mister. grin

Carl, we'll get your truck in the Gallery probably tomorrow when the temps are not much to my liking! Thanks for taking all the time to write all that ... or did you have a ride-along personal scribe? wink Oh, no ... sorry ... I know better. Rotary wing drivers don't need that kind of personal care. grin

Peggy M


~ Peggy M
1949 Chevrolet 3804
"Charlie" - The Stovebolt Flagship
In the Gallery
"We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give." -- Winston Churchill
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,076
Authorized Pest
Authorized Pest
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,076
Okay, got Carl's truck in the Gallery for Dec 1. You'll have to check his signature line for now. Waiting to get four more done before the new page goes up. Just updated the year to date page and filed the November ones in their year pages.

On to the next thing ...

Peg


~ Peggy M
1949 Chevrolet 3804
"Charlie" - The Stovebolt Flagship
In the Gallery
"We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give." -- Winston Churchill
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 8
C
New Guy
New Guy
C Offline
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 8
Thanks John and Peggy,
I appreciate your kind words regarding my old truck. I certainly hope to be able to meet some fellow members of Stovebolt.com in person someday. As a graphics hobbyist who is fairly proficient in Illustrator and Photoshop, I am willing to help out with any graphics support you might need.

Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,076
Authorized Pest
Authorized Pest
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,076
Thanks Carl,

I think the fun piece you did for the cover was very cool. Will catch up after the holiday.

Peg


~ Peggy M
1949 Chevrolet 3804
"Charlie" - The Stovebolt Flagship
In the Gallery
"We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give." -- Winston Churchill
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 48
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 48
What a splendid restoration - congrats!!


1960 GMC 1/2-ton Fleetside
"Donald"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr

1941 GMC 1/2-Ton Short Box Stepside
"Wilburforce"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr

1943? Chevrolet G7107
1946 Dodge COE 1-1/2 ton
1939 Allis Chalmers model "C"
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 48
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 48
Super job - congrats!


1960 GMC 1/2-ton Fleetside
"Donald"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr

1941 GMC 1/2-Ton Short Box Stepside
"Wilburforce"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr

1943? Chevrolet G7107
1946 Dodge COE 1-1/2 ton
1939 Allis Chalmers model "C"
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 20
B
New Guy
New Guy
B Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 20
Your truck could almost be my '51 3100 Chevy's lost twin. Same color and style. Do Stovebolt search for name "Blue51 finished" for Photobucket photos.
Looks great.

Last edited by blue51; 02/07/2014 5:38 AM.

Blue51
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,076
Authorized Pest
Authorized Pest
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,076
Here's your pictures.

We need to get your's in the Gallery, too.

Peg


~ Peggy M
1949 Chevrolet 3804
"Charlie" - The Stovebolt Flagship
In the Gallery
"We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give." -- Winston Churchill

Moderated by  J Lucas 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0