The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Gray_Ghost, RoseB), 153 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,141
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#981156 10/24/2013 11:52 PM
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
Anyone have a part number for a rear wheel stud for a 1950 1/2 ton

Just snapped one off rotating the wheels.
Went to the local flaps, and the dorman they showed me a picture of didn't look right, the shoulder looked to deep plus he didn't have it anyway

Here an old pic ...pic...

Also I've never replaced a rear stud

Will if fit in from behind without disassembling ?

Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 233
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 233
You can punch it out of the axle on the vehicle then install the new one by pulling it into position with a lug nut. The other way is to pull the axle and press it out, then press a new one in place.


1953 Chevy 3100
261 and SM420
53Chevy 3100
1953 Mack Firetruck
1972 Porsche 911
1986 Honda Goldwing
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
dads50, try another parts store! Then if no luck ask them to let you look thru their bin's. If they will, and most will, then you may find just what your looking for.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
well that good news that the stud will fit in behind without pulling the axle

I was hoping to have the stud in hand when I remove the old remnant.

Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,636
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,636
A good parts guy can get the measurements from your old one if needed and match it up.

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
dads50....I believe the axle studs at least up to 59, and probably later, are all the same. If you ask a counter guy for a 1950 he may say he doesn't have them, or none listed. Most of the computers I've seen only go back to around '55.

If you go in and ask for a stud for a '59 he can probably pull up the number..... and if you can confirm from the online parts manual that the studs are the same up to say '65 or so then they can surely look them up and get you one.

Hope this helps.......... I looked up one for a '59 and it didn't give me a specific number as you see below.

Maybe the second one down http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...eIdSearch=500604&searchedFrom=header


...but when I looked up a stud for a '65 it listed one "exact fit" as you see here.
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...leIdSearch=44136&searchedFrom=header

Last edited by Achipmunk; 10/25/2013 3:58 PM.

1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
Yes the second one down looks like it.
I know its 7/16 20

I had gone to my local Oreillys auto
He was able to bring up the 50 on his computer, but when he showed me the picture it looked like the knurled shoulder was way to long. Plus he didnt have it in the store.

I'll take your numbers to my local carquest. they are better on this stuff

thanks for the help

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 487
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 487
See what you think about Dorman #610025.
Listed to fit Chevy truck 38-58
link to specs

regards,
Leon

Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 388
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 388
hey Dad50... looks like you've got the stud issue covered, but I just noticed... are you missing the spring that goes on the spreader bar? Or did the 50 not have them (I'm still learning about these old trucks and just wondered!)

Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
that was a pic I took during disassembly
...pic...

...pic...

there is a spring on the adjuster

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
I think the spreader bar he is talking about is the one that goes to into one shoe and the other end in the E-brake lever.
The pic you list if of the adjuster.... In the first pic I THINK the spring leon thinks is missing is on the other end???... and I may be all wrong!!


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
Yes the first pic the springs are removed and hanging.
My truck had both styles of brakes on it, sometime in its lifetime something was changed.




Went by carquest and pick up the stud Leon linked
Originally Posted by Leon
See what you think about Dorman #610025.
Listed to fit Chevy truck 38-58
link to specs

regards,
Leon

The shoulder diameter looks correct
Got this project set for my next day off. I'll post the correct stud once I knockout the old one

Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
The dorman #610025 was the correct rear stud for my 50
Thanks Leon

Just got done changing it.
That sucker did not want to pound out.
Put some heat to it and it still would not budge

Finally drilled out the center some, and then put heat on it again and it finally popped out with a few smacks.
...pic...

I did not have to pull the axel

Thank you all for the help.

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
What was it like drilling a hole in a hardened stud?


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
I started with a 1/8 inch and stepped up.

It was pretty soft,
maybe because I had already put heat to it with a mapp torch before I started drilling.



Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0