The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
10 members (Shaffer's1950, Cletus1950, Leo, NAPCOStormTrpr, Otto Skorzeny, GDW, MNSmith, Hanks custodian, Peggy M, Hotrod Lincoln), 103 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,139
Posts1,056,455
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 797
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 797
Did any of our Stovebolts come with a guide bracket on the front bumper for use with a hand starter crank? If so, I would like more info. about it, such as when they were in use, size/dimensions, etc. Pictures would be helpful. Thank you!

Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 940
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 940
Other than the notch in the inner grill I've never seen anything. The bar sits in there pretty nicely. ...I think of it more as a leftover from a previous era. Sure does help when setting the timing tho.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5185/5695931707_78aab69b57_z.jpg

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
W
Socket Breaker
Socket Breaker
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893

Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,223
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,223
My '37 had one. The center bumper bolt holds it in place. I will get a picture of this sent out to you.

Joe

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
Luke,

I think Denny Graham documented some information on the crank/guides a while back?

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Yep, made a flat layout of the bracket a few years ago but the
drawings were on Webshots and the original is on my old
computer that went down last spring. Taint figured out how to
get at the hard drive yet.

Denny G


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 583
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 583
What year you looking for? I've got one on my 39. I've used the crank to set timing and installing the distributor.
Rick


1939 Chevrolet Stake Truck
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 797
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 797
We are making some progress here with info. Perhaps Denny Graham holds the key. My main interest is in the Art Deco and Advance Design trucks.

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 507
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 507
I have one on my 41 1/2 ton, I will take some pictures and measurements and send them to you. Mounts behind center bolt on front bumper. Might take a couple of days as the truck is in the middle of a frame off restoration and I have to check my inventory and see which bin the crank support bracket is in.



"If it ain't Steel it ain't Real"
"Earth the insane aslyum for the rest of the Universe"
41 1/2-ton, a work in progress
68 Shortbed stepside 327/325hp/700R4
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 940
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 940
So would these brackets from older trucks or something similar have been used or sold with AD trucks?

Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 18
T
New Guy
New Guy
T Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 18
My son's 1946 3/4 ton has one. I believe the bumper to be original, and the crank bracket is turned, which hides it from view. I am assuming that is intentional and the bolt of course has to be loosen to turn it up for use.

Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 797
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 797
So would it be fair to summarize that the Art Deco trucks had a hand-crank guide bracket and that the Advanced Design trucks did not?

Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 940
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 940
Luke, that's what I'm thinking.

Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,377
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,377
I have one on my 37 but its just for looks now since a hand crank will not work with a 57 motor.

Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 119
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 119

Yes as to art deco series & not advance design series

Last edited by Miss Church; 11/05/2013 1:31 AM.

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0