The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (55shaker, Shade Baby, Phak1, 1 invisible), 95 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,139
Posts1,056,448
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 50
M
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
M Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 50
Anyone know where I can find a good battery charger for the 6-volts? All I seem to find is the small ones for motorcycles that only trickle charge.
What do I need to look for in a charger for these trucks??


1951 Chevy 3100 w/235
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
I googled it and found several.

Years ago I had a service station model 6V charger. It consisted of a 110V electric motor coupled to a 6V automotive generator with a timer on the motor and regulator on the generator. Hope something bad happened to the persons who stole it and a bunch of other things from me.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
magnmike,

I have a larger style charger at work...I think it is a Solar brand. It has 6 volt lo/med/hi/boost as well as the same settings in 12 volt.

This type of charger allows you to get a rig on the road in short time. The charger I have at home is also 6/12 volt capable, BUT, it has the auto-charge feature, which I think is invaluable.

Hook it up and walk away..for a week or a month. It will not overcharge, and will keep a charge.

You need to evaluate what you want this charger for. How many dead batteries do you see in a year. Unless you are running a service station, or a fleet of forklifts, I would think the small charger with the "brain" would be the cats meow.

Stuart

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031
sears
6V @ 6 amps
12V @ 2 amps
12V @ 6 amps
these are the charging rates i have on my model

12 volts for a 12 olt battery
6 V for 6V battery

I'll bet ya almost all of these chargers are made by the same company
in china


Jim & Caroline
The highway is for gamblers, better use your good sense."
Gooday-that's my 1¢ answer due to the lousy economy ~ cause I ain't got - no . mo . doe

Every Shaver | Now Can Snore | Six More Minutes | Than Before ... | Half A Pound for Half a Dollar | Spread On Thin | Above the Collar || BURMA-SHAVE
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 50
M
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
M Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 50
I was told not to use my 12-volt charger on these batteries. Are you saying I can use a 12-volt charger at 2 and 6 amps?

Thanks for the help.


1951 Chevy 3100 w/235
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
magnmike,

Not sure on your question, but only use a 6 volt charger on a 6 volt battery. The rate of charge...how many 'amps' you want to deliver to it would be your call, but only at the rated voltage of the battery.

Stuart

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 50
M
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
M Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 50
Caroline's Truck had listed 12 volt @ 2amps and 12 volt @ 6 amps in response to my question. Didn't know if that meant I could use a 12 volt charger at the lower amps on the 6-volt battery.

I do have a 12-volt charger, but only at 2amps, 10amps and 50amps.
I also have a 6-volt at 1amp which isn't strong enough.


1951 Chevy 3100 w/235
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
It has to be compatible with the battery...6 volt charger on 6 volt battery and 12 volt charger on 12 volt battery. I have linked some cool looking things.

http://www.centurytool.net/Solar_Branded_Battery_chargers_By_Clore_Automotive_s/22.htm

Stuart

Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 41
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 41
I've been happy with a Schumacher. They make a line of chargers from basic to professional. Mine will do a 6 volt at 2 amps in a couple hours if totally dead on an automatic setting so I don't have to mind it.

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Tractor supply is a good place to look. There are a lot of tractors out there with 6 Volt. Magmaike, the 12 volt charger comes with a 2 amp or 10 amp switch due to charging a car battery at 10 amp but on a small 12 volt battery like a lawn mower battery you would use the 2 amp setting. Try the local Tractor Supply and I would bet they have "simple" chargers for a better price than the a lot of places?!


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 17
K
Apprentice
Apprentice
K Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 17
You don't have to look for a 6 volt charger. A lot of chargers have a switch for you to choose between 12 and 6 volts. The last two I bought were like that. Wal Mart has these chargers.

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 327
P
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
P Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 327
Thats the same as mine theres a switch from 6 to 12.


Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0