Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,132 Posts1,056,391 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jun 2013 Posts: 59 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jun 2013 Posts: 59 | RANT.....I was outside checking the tires on the 65 and I noticed one is a 255/70 where the other is a 255/60 on the front. so I start removing The 70 to put a 60 on it.I get the jack to lift it and my jack is dead so I get another jack which is smaller and it's also dead.I then use a scissor jack and get it all the way up and guess what the tire is still on the ground.I move the jack in another place and finally get the tire up and then try to remove the tire and guess whst? the tire is stuck it won't move a inch.......I then pour gas on the truck and strike a match I WISH
Anyways I need a jack and Im thinking about the harbor freights lite weight racing floor jack.its only 89 bucks and im heard good reviews on it.for the price you can't beat it if the reviews are true.my old craftsman jack lasted 10 years thru rain and snow but boy was it heavy | | | | | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall | | Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 | ... a fellow bolter, Jim, bought one of the 3 pump aluminum jacks from Harbor today. With coupons he ended up paying $69. I told him to let me know how it works. Mine are dying to after all these years. Maybe he'll see this and chip in how it works. He needed one kind of low to get under his panel! | | | | | Joined: Aug 2013 Posts: 568 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2013 Posts: 568 | I have a harbor super lite. It works great. Had it for 7 years.
I can explain it to you, I can't understand it for you.
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 4,252 "Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!! | | "Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!! Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 4,252 | Send out your jacks for rebuild. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 Ex Hall Monitor | | Ex Hall Monitor Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 | I've had some rather testy discussions with folks over the years about HF stuff. I admit I use some HF stuff but a rule I won't break is that I don't use HF stuff if my life or livelihood depend on the tool. I've had too many HF items utterly fail and having one fail while you're under a 4000 lb vehicle is not a recipe for a good day. If you choose to buy a HF jack put a jack stand under the truck before YOU get under it.
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet. The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion. Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
| | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 . | | . Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 | ..If you choose to buy a HF jack put a jack stand under the truck before YOU get under it. Make that ANY brand of jack! | | | | | Joined: Jun 2013 Posts: 59 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jun 2013 Posts: 59 | I alway use jack stands cause a close call I had once with the jack bleeding down as I was under the car. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 Ex Hall Monitor | | Ex Hall Monitor Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 | FWIW I wouldn't use HF jack stands either. Still too much to lose if one or both fail.
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet. The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion. Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | These work fine. I have been working all spring/summer under my 2-ton GMC long stake/flat bed all summer. Solid and stable as a rock (I have 3-ton and 6-ton steel stands, 6-ton under the COE). | | | | | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall | | Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 | Mark, the ONLY local place here wants $65 to rebuild my 3 ton jack. If I can get the rings that I know are the correct size I'd rebuild it myself! Its an old sears jack and the "jack" part is more than you can buy a new for!!
With my discount, and for the money, I got one from Advance Auto some years ago that give good service.
YES, use a jack stand. My dad had 13 ribs to get broken when an old International crushed him. Lucky he lived. When young I did some stupid things but if I go under a vehicle to day you can bet the jack stand goes first....and I usually leave just a "tat" of pressure with the jack in place. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 4,252 "Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!! | | "Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!! Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 4,252 | The jacks I have, back some time ago, sold for $200+. These days $400+. For me, $65 would be an exceptional deal. I think my guy gets $100+?? Still worth it for these well built jacks. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2009 Posts: 311 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2009 Posts: 311 | I'm with Tiny on this one. I would not trust a HF Jack, but I would trust a HF jack stand. When I was a kid (before I ever wrenched on anything) a neighbors jack gave out while He was working under the car, it took his life. Regardless of the brand of jack I always place a jack stand under the vehicle. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 Ex Hall Monitor | | Ex Hall Monitor Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 | A lifetime warranty doesn't mean much if you're dead.
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet. The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion. Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,962 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,962 | We use and abuse Costco jacks out at the shop. They last about 6 months. I always make sure the vehicle is on OTC jack stands before anyone gets under it. Costco guarantees the jacks for as long as I keep the receipt and maintain membership. I have lost count of how many of their jacks I have returned during the 12 years Costco has been in San Antonio. I used to buy Walker, Lincoln, and Hein Warner jacks. They cost 5 times more than the Costco jacks and have to be rebuilt every couple of years. I feel I am money ahead buying the cheap ones from Costco. | | |
| |