The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Opelika Tom, Otto Skorzeny), 86 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,134
Posts1,056,402
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 22
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 22
I'm very new to Stovebolt and to most things mechanical, especially wiring. I am in the process of pulling off the front fenders of my ;47 Chevy pickup so that I can change out the engine. It could really use a new wiring harness at the same time.
Where do I look for a good wiring harness. What is a reasonable price. Tips, helpful hints.
Am I even posting in the right section.
Obvious a novice!
Thanks for your help in advance

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
I bought the one offered by ClassicParts.com $150 and you can select alternator or generator options. Comes with turn signal wiring and pretty good directions. I have had zero issues with mine. Most options will be plastic coated wire, original cloth is available but in the $600 range. Lots of alternatives from street rod vendors in the $400 range.

Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 165
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 165
Thumbs up for classic parts switched to 12v with alternator, when back in very easily!

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
If you choose to go with the original looking harness the two main makers are YNZ Yesterdays Parts and Rhode Island Wiring.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Ronnie Ray,

Welcome to Stovebolt.com

thumbs_up Classic Parts with standard generator or with alternator. Will work with 6v or 12v.

Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,596
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,596
Originally Posted by Ronnie Ray
I'm very new to Stovebolt and to most things mechanical, especially wiring. I am in the process of pulling off the front fenders of my ;47 Chevy pickup so that I can change out the engine. It could really use a new wiring harness at the same time.
Where do I look for a good wiring harness. What is a reasonable price. Tips, helpful hints.
Am I even posting in the right section.
Obvious a novice!
Thanks for your help in advance


Are you swapping to another 6, or do you want a V8? This will make a difference in what kind of harness you use. I used a Painless harness but mine was a hot rod application.


1946 GMC Pickup - S-10 Frame, 455 Buick, TH400, original patina.

My 46 GMC on Photobucket
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,254
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,254
Classic Parts of America


Dennis
-there is nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer-

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0