The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Ponchogl, Otto Skorzeny, Hanks custodian), 104 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,134
Posts1,056,403
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 75
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 75
After running flawlessly for about a year-and-a-half, I took my '40 to a Curse-in (Portland) and barely made it home. With a little investigation I noticed my distributor rotates freely, even with clamp fully tightened. Any ideas on what to look for would be welcomed wholeheartedly.

When I figure out what went wrong I have to adjust the timing (of which there are many previous instruction posts.) Given than I'm a visual learner, anyone have any good pictures posted of where to look for the triangle on the flywheel (front face?), where is the line to match it up with? (dust cover?), etc.?

I plan to dive-in this weekend to figure it out.

Thanks!

Doug

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
If the bolt has come out of the fine adjustment plate on the bottom, it can be rotated about 15 degrees.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
The vacuum advance moves the distributor so some movement is normal. How much is yours moving?

Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 75
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 75
With Truckernix comment about the missing bolt (thanks) I looked around for other fasteners and there is a collar with a horizontal screw around the right side of the distributor. That was loose also and when tightened, the distributor rotates only as far as the vacuum advance will permit - this seems correct.

I took a picture of it here:
(https://plus.google.com/photos/1139...7801054018&oid=113956755236860259179)

Now that I know how to tighten it down, I will adjust the timing. Q: Would you recommend I use the timing light from a top view (under the hood) or do I have to go underneath the front bumper and see it from below?

thanks

Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,214
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,214
You should be able to see the hole and marks from above.That'll make adjustment alot easier.
Make sure your octane setting is at "0", then loosen that nut/screw you just tightened to adjust you're timing.
You may want to advance it a hair or 2 above the pointer and then road test to make sure it doesn't ping on exceleration. If it does retard it a hair & test again.
btw, nice truck.

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
I belive below the pointer gives you advance. That shows that it fires before or in advance of the pointer position.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 75
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 75
I am feeling a bit thick-headed because I've heard a lot about "setting the octane level to zero" but for the life of me cannot find anything around my distributor that has an adjustment with any graduations (numbers) on it. Even the "http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/chevyowner/52tom31.htm" has an entry about octane adjustment but in the old b&w halftone print, I still can not see that specific parts are being referred to. Has my octane adjustment gauge fallen off? Is it too gunky to see? Did I ever have one? .... I'm not sure because I'm not quite sure what to look for. Can any of you kind people take a look at my distributor and let me know if I am missing something?

https://plus.google.com/photos/1139...2597156306&oid=113956755236860259179

Thanks for any help you can provide :-)

Doug


Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
It is the flat plate with a bolt through it between the dipstick and the distributor. There should be graduations marked on the aft end of it. There is a line on the engine block under it for reference.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Doug,

The Octane Selector is part of the distributor collar-clamp that bolts to the block. The octane selector is shown in your photo.

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/shop/1948_51truck/51ctsm0619.htm

Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
...click...

To the left is an A
To the right is an R

Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 75
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 75
Thanks Cletis, Tclederman, and DADS50 for clearing that up! I am going to go home and set the timing!


Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,248
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,248
It is mostly to adjust how much advance is in the timing...
The higher the octane fuel used the more the timing could be advanced.

John

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
do you know where to check the timing? Do you know about the BB in the flywheel, and the pointer in the bellhousing? I only ask because you were wondering if you should check from under the front bumper. That shouldn't even be a question. The octane selector can be anywhere as long as it is tight. Unless the gas in your area tends to vary widely in octane levels ( I have never used it in 30 years) The screw you found loose is what is used to set the timing. Some people say to set the timing with a vacuum gauge, I have always used the prescribed "ball and pointer" method, but last week I decided to give the vacuum method a try, I found absolutely no difference in performance.

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,248
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,248
Usually the timing was set with a slight ping on an uphill pull.

John


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0