The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
9 members (55shaker, 1955 1 Series, BC59, 3800GUY, RaNfLaS, tclederman, Otto Skorzeny, wilbur53, FAST55), 156 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,104
Posts1,056,201
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#954360 07/04/2013 12:47 AM
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 12
D
New Guy
New Guy
D Offline
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 12
I knew this would be an issue when I first found my truck, but I'm finally getting to it. Snapped off the three bolts holding on the housing, and took it inside to get a good look.

Well, it was better then I feared, but still not great.

the outer shell is still in good shape, but the brace/mounts inside are heavily pocked and weak. Those are mostly flat so those are easy enough to make new. The big problem is the panel behind the headlight bucket, the one that the adjuster screws and springs are attached to.

How should I go about trying to fix this part? I have some metal the same thickness to work with, but I'm not sure if rivets would work, or should it be welded? Should it be butt welded or lap welded? Cut out the bad material, or cover over it?

This truck is my first real body work project, so repairing rust is fairly new to me.

Anyways, the album:
46 Headlight Housing

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
With so many trucks being modified and headlights "frenched" in I believe I'd give the swap meet a shot by posting in the Parts Wanted Forum if you have not done that.
Your to be commended for wanting to fix and do it yourself but sometime there is a better or faster way. Maybe some bolters have some spares around. I believe there are some bolters in Wis. that part out trucks?
Good luck and thanks for the pictures.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 775
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 775
There was the part your looking for on ebay under 46 chevy truck today.

Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 12
D
New Guy
New Guy
D Offline
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 12
Apart from the minor rot at the bottom, the whole assembly is in rather good condition. I have a lot of spare time and scrap bits lying around, but not much in the way of money. As long as the outside looks nice after I get it painted, it doesn't need to be pretty on the inside. I guess my biggest concern is not having it rust out again too soon after getting it done.

I'll try working on it some more, and post some more pictures.

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 177
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 177
i would cut out the rust and butt weld the new metal in place. then there is a set on pensacola craigs list for sale now

Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 56
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 56
I am not a body man, but I remember when I had the rusted headlite buckets on the trucks We serviced, we would go and get a complete lite and bucket assembly at International harvester and it would replace them ,some of the State trucks were a lot worse than the one pictured, I believe you could try that and it would be a complete lite assembly and I believe it would fit. Should possibly be an easy fit as you could weld a piece of metal to the back of the bucket, then to the outer assembly from the inside, and have a new assembly, complete with adj screws and springs, that's how I did it. pat


1966 Chevy C 30 1 ton truck
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 308
E
'Bolter
'Bolter
E Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 308
I had one that look pretty close to this, I found a replacement from one of our fellow bolters. My plan when I put my truck back together is to por15 all the internal areas to avoid any rusting in the future.

Ed


Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0