The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (baldeagle, 1 invisible), 122 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,095
Posts1,056,468
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 235
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 235
It seems that Zero Rust is a favorite for priming but I don't know what to use as a top coat. I called Zero Rust and they said that even though they have colors, their paints were primers, not finish coats. I asked for their recommendation for top coats over their primer and they would not offer a recommendation.

Two questions:

1. If I use Zero Rust as a primer, what brand would others recommend or perhaps have used as top coats?

2. Should I just go to a complete Rustoleum system and use their automotive primer or restorer and then top coat with Rustoleum paints?

I'm only addressing the areas I can access after pulling the bed so I'm not looking for the ultimate finish on the frame, just an effective way to protect it properly. All the parts under the cab will still be rusty.


Bob

1954 Chevy 3100 5-Window
1954 5-Window COE aka "THE BEAST"
Bill Ritchie's Original Truck

Granddad's Hardware Store: Ritchie Hardware, Concord, N.C.
Bethesda, MD
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
Zero Rust has a clear coat that seals the 'primer' - the only problem with not top coating ZR is it doesn't have UV protectors, which shouldn't be a big problem on a frame - if you already have the ZR, try some other satin or gloss on a test piece, Rustoleum could work fine over it or alone with no primer and is cheaper, I've done both, happy with either

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 453
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 453
I ZR my entire frame and then used ZR clear-coat afterwards for the very reason Bill mentioned...UV protection. It really looks good too!

Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 129
E
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
E Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 129
Does much UV light get to the frame unless you roll the truck?


Ed Miller
'58 Apache short Fleetside half ton Napco
Falls City, OR


Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0