The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (RLB, Patina 54), 98 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,136
Posts1,056,426
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#951588 06/20/2013 3:40 PM
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 1
5
Moderated
Moderated
5 Offline
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 1
I have a 54 Chevy Belaire in France. My problem is my leaking rear main bearing seal.(split seal). I was told there are no seals available and that I must use a newer seal from 55-62 engine which is a different size. The crankshaft must be machined down to fit the newer seal. My question is what size do I cut the crankshaft to fit the newer seal?

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
Don't listen to who ever told you that.
1940-62 used the same seal.
1956-62 engines can have the rope seal replaced with a two piece neoprene seal.
There is a one piece seal conversion but that takes machining the block.
I would recommend using a Best Gasket brand rope seal for your 54.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 135
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 135
What Dave Says



Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 45
A
awk Offline
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 45
Like to jump in here. Are these rear main seals available at NAPA, or where should I look for one. I assume there is a front seal also. I have a 54 235 that is leaking, I think it the pan gasket, but thought I may as well replace the rear main seal. How tuff is this?

awk

54convert #959842 07/29/2013 10:49 PM
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,775
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,775
You can use the one piece seal from the 88 and newer 350's. The mains would need to be line bored and the block machined for it.

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/Article/1766/Old_Iron_Sealing_Stovebolt_Chevy_Engines.aspx


1954 3600 Chevy Truck
"The Fake Truck"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
54convert #959853 07/30/2013 12:02 AM
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
This is the rear seal I would use in a 1954
The front seal should be available at most parts stores.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 45
A
awk Offline
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 45
Pre'68 Dave,
Thanks. So that yellow thing is a tool? The front should be easy that just the timing cover seal, right. I'm new to the 235 6 cyl.

awk

54convert #959913 07/30/2013 11:26 AM
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
The yellow thing is a razor knife and the brown thing is a guide for cutting the ends correctly.
The only thing the kit tells you to do that I don't is to drill the cap and pin it so the seal does not move. I don't like that idea.
The front seal leak could be more from a worn seal surface on the balancer. They sell a speedi-sleeve to cover the worn area. It is the same as small blocks so most parts stores have them in stock.
The front seal is a standard lip seal.
I see a lot of leaking blamed on front seals when it turns out to be the fuel pump. There are two places fuel pumps leak. They can leak from a loose pivot shaft or more commonly someone used lock washers on the bolts. The oil then wicks out the threads and through the split in the washer. This can leak a lot of oil.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 45
A
awk Offline
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 45
Thanks a bunch Dave. I'll look at that tonight.

Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 306
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 306
dave
do you recommend NOT using lock washers on the fuel pump?
without them might they protrude into the block far enough to hit a cam lobe?

rolf


1963 c10
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
Being the pump is aluminum I always use flat washers to keep the bolt heads from digging in.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0