Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,140 Posts1,056,467 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jul 2013 Posts: 1 Moderated | | Moderated Joined: Jul 2013 Posts: 1 | Hi folks, This is my first post. I live in Colorado. A friend and I have a 66 C60 dump we want to use for cleanup and towing a 1972 Ford 3000 tractor between mountain lots and home. Lots of 7% grade on the roads. It has a 350 engine. We are about to take the hydraulic cylinder for power steering off for an overhaul. Questions are:
Is keeping the original power steering reasonable? How long can I expect the overhauled cylinder to last assuming a good overhaul?
The tractor weighs about 6000 lbs. Any thoughts on towing with the dump and staying under 26,000 lbs? We will need to buy a trailer and not sure what size to use. I would prefer a 5 ton capacity, but that would put the overall GVW well over 26,000 lbs. Will the truck's brakes be adequate for this use assuming they are in good shape and good brakes on the trailer?
1966 C60 Chevrolet Dump
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2010 Posts: 1,159 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2010 Posts: 1,159 | Welcome to the "Bolt"! The combination ,of the combined weights of the truck,(empty) and tractor,would probably exceed 26,000#. That doesn't include the trailer weight,or the accessories for the tractor. Is yours a real dump truck body,or a platform/stake? Tht difference,alone,will shave-off a ton,or better. Now for the brakes: The trucks of the time,had a single brake reservoir. Blow-out any part of it-NO BRAKES!! I highly suggest that you install a dual-reservoir M.C. you could either have your hydro-vac re-built,or converted,at the same time as your M.C. There.s a good post on the "Big Bolts" page,(3?), about two weeks ago. Good-luck! Living in Colorado,This would be a MUST!! I drove a '60 Viking 60,for about 8-years,after the truck sat for about that long. never had a problem with the power steering. I think I replaced the starter,fuel-pump,and water pump.-That's it. You treat them right,they're reliable as Hell. Mine had a 283. It pulled a 400- gallon roofers' kettle,with no sweat. Never had a problem with the brakes,either,BUT I would have up-graded if the brakes failed. Again,Welcome!
Last edited by wetwilly5757; 07/19/2013 1:37 PM.
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2012 Posts: 33 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Jun 2012 Posts: 33 | be carefull with getting the 26k# number stuck in your head, the way I read it is any towed load over 10K is the same limit. at least in this state.
Last edited by greywuuf; 07/20/2013 1:45 AM.
Homeland defense begins at home.
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,962 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,962 | The GCW weight of a C60 is over 26,000 which by definition makes it a commercial vehicle. Is the tractor a farm tractor. You possibly can get by calling it a farm truck. I would check into insurance before you sink a bunch of money in the thing. Insurance for a dump truck is expensive. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 1,276 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 1,276 | My best guess your truck weighs between 9,000 and 10,000 My 64 weighs in at 9,300 l have a 21,000 lbs. GVW three axle trailer that weighs 2,900 and I haul a 14,000 lbs mini excavator with it.The truck has a very strong 350 with an SM-420 4 speed and a two speed rear.Brakes where all replaced with new to include hoses and hard lines before I put the truck to use. My trailer has electric brakes on all tree axles and I installed a good controller for them.Now I do have a class A CDL and I register The truck for 26,000. I guess what I am getting at is yes you have plenty of truck to move your 6,000 lbs tractor as long as all your equipment truck trailer and towing devices are in good working order and you follow the law. BTW If it will fit and you can devise a way to safely load and unload the tractor maybe you could haul it in the back of the truck???? Also keep in mind that tractor can easily be hauled on a car trailer behind a pickup and for most of us here these old trucks at a hobby. Even for those of us who use them for more it is a passion and there are easier and cheaper ways but it is just way cool.
Last edited by HevyHauler; 07/20/2013 8:53 AM.
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,733 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,733 | I pulled a two axle electric brake 7K GVW trailer with a 1700 series Ford tractor/loader between CO and MO behind a 15K GVW w/o incident except a blown tire. It was overloaded but did the job handily. The secret is not to even stop and the chicken coops if your rig looks like it's on the samller side. I've had problems at scales around the country with semi's and larger trucks but have never had one of them look up or come after me with a rig as I have described. Look and act innocent. If you pull in they will find something and it's more about $ than safety these days. Just my opinion and experience over many, many years.
Incidently the next sized trailer your likely to find will be a 14K GVW, not a 10K. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 1,276 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 1,276 | I didn't say this but Dave is right it is sometimes easier to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission when dealing with the Government. In less it's the IRS Then run like hell LOL. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,733 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,733 | At the present time Grant you might even be able to deal with the IRS - very busy with CYA. | | |
| |