The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Hanks custodian, GDW, Peggy M, Rusty Heaps, Shaffer's1950, MNSmith), 101 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,139
Posts1,056,455
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
Ther have been threads about trying to fit new rims on AD 3/4 and 1 Tons. The problem has been that new rims have too large a back spacing. I found this reference below that sells rims, probably for the off road crowd, but I think these will fit. They are 16x 7, 8 lug with a 4 " backspacing. Any comments ?

http://www.4wheelparts.com/product2.asp?imseqn=1890&occlass=TWD&cat=PAC


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 91
F
Member
Member
F Offline
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 91
I got my rims at
Canadian Wheel
www.canadianwheel.com

very helpfull company. The told me the rims are used at the 2000 and up F***rd and D**ge.

There part Number is 45304

This rims give me 1/2 space between the rim and the joint.


Fritz Peyerl
Turner valley, Alberta
http://www.badmileage.com
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
Fritz,
thanks for the information and it is nice to hear from you. I haven't heard much from you lately and I was afraid that that new job was taking too much of your time up!


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 385
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 385
Doublecheck the backspace measurement, as I recall 4" will leave a groove in the steering knuckle and knock the weights off the rim.


1955 First Series GMC 250 1-Ton Panel
In the Gallery
Mr. Hedgehog - Follow the build
If you can't laugh at yourself, I'll laugh at you.
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
Hedgehog,

you are right. I had forgotten the correct measurements. I guess that it was a senior's moment arriving early!


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 19
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 19
Bolters:
I've got a set of 16.5" (Dodge I think)wheels on my 52-3604, the problem is that unless you use spacers on the front wheels, the drivers side tie rod end rubs up against the rim (not good)! Ideally I would like to find a set of 17" aluminum rims, such as Alcoa light truck rims to fit the old beast. Found a place in California (Stockton Wheel)that was willing to build a set of 17" steelies for me but the cost (for me at least) seemed high and the process took a couple of months while they located a 17" rim to weld new centers into. Does anyone out there have a set of original wheels so that I can get the correct back spacing, etc.????
BuBBAB52
My sanity has never been questioned, moreover, its never been mentioned.

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
Jim III,
my 51 1 Ton has the original 17" split rims. They are listed in the GM data as 17 x5 with a 7/16" offset. I think that puts the backspacing at 2 15/16". Measuring the front side of the rim supports these measurements.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 385
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 385
The "holy grail" of AD trucks: 3.75" backspacing on any rim that will fit over your drums. You won\'t want to do what I did if you're worried about looking stock.


1955 First Series GMC 250 1-Ton Panel
In the Gallery
Mr. Hedgehog - Follow the build
If you can't laugh at yourself, I'll laugh at you.

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0