Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,088 Posts1,056,414 Members48,443 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Feb 2013 Posts: 250 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2013 Posts: 250 | My '48 One Ton Dually had a droopy door handle on the passenger side. It worked fine and had the same range of movement as the good handle on the driver's side but it pointed down to about where 5 o'clock would be on a clock face. The shaft of the handle assembly is press fit into the handle . I think what happens is that when the door is locked and someone tries to open it from the outside, they end up twisting the handle on the shaft. I removed the handle assembly, tightened the square end of the shaft carefully into my bench vise and then simply twisted the handle counterclockwise about as much as I thought it needed. It was tight but it turned on the shaft! One more small adjustment and it was aligned just right. No fuss, no muss. Maybe it will work for you too. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall | | Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 | ...and if they are pressed in tight a couple bolters here reported that they heated them up and twisted them to where they wanted them. Sounds OK to me.
Hope your enjoying the Stovebolt. Lots of good stuff here and folks willing to share.
Any pics of your project? we like pics. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2013 Posts: 250 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2013 Posts: 250 | No pics yet, I'll post some when I can move 'Pokey' outside. Right now there are more parts off the truck than on it! The headlights work great, everything else needs a little attention. Bought sight unseen, it's more like a barn find than the runner I thought it was. That's ok though, I enjoy the work and hope to have it road ready sometime in the near future. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2013 Posts: 10 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Jun 2013 Posts: 10 | Thanks for the info! I have the same problem on my passenger side but it only droops about 5 degrees. I will try the fix you suggested. Jim | | | | | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall | | Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 | I might add that a while back I pulled a door handle that was twisted like Jim suggested because someone had drilled a hole and put a "spilt pin" in it...or what I call a "roll pin". Just adding to the list! | | | | | Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 1,644 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 1,644 | What would happen if I pulled up on a droopy door handle without taking it off the door first? I'd take it nice & slow. Thought about using a cheater bar but it might break the cast pot metal handle.
Chuck 1950 Chevy 1/2 ton (all original) 1951 Chevy 1/2 ton (future streetrod) 1941 Chevy coupe 1938 Chevy coupe streetrod | | | | | Joined: Feb 2013 Posts: 250 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2013 Posts: 250 | I think it would work. The shaft is tight in the latch and well supported going through the door. In a PM to another poster, I told him that if I had to do it again I would attempt it without taking off the handle. Cheater bar is overkill and doesn't give you the control and feel of doing it by hand. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 1,644 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 1,644 | Thanks Jim. My passenger door handle points to 4:30 pm & it bugs me!! I think I'll try pulling it up this weekend using my bare hands based on your experience & advice. I'll post my results later.
Thanks,
Chuck 1950 Chevy 1/2 ton (all original) 1951 Chevy 1/2 ton (future streetrod) 1941 Chevy coupe 1938 Chevy coupe streetrod | | | | | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall | | Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 | spot...are you SURE you don't want to pull the handle out and put it in a vice?? | | | | | Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 1,644 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 1,644 | Alvin, not if it's easier to leave it in the door and use a little muscle to move it back into position. Eureka Jim seems to think it would work. I'll give it a gentle try and see what happens.
Chuck 1950 Chevy 1/2 ton (all original) 1951 Chevy 1/2 ton (future streetrod) 1941 Chevy coupe 1938 Chevy coupe streetrod | | |
| |