| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
2 members (Gdads51, 1 invisible),
118
guests, and
8
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,088 Posts1,056,124 Members48,435 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: May 2013 Posts: 5 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: May 2013 Posts: 5 | I have a 49 1/2 ton. It is running a 55 chevy 235 6. I bought a 48 to 53 shop manual CD for help. CD states that 49 Chevy's came with a Steering column 3-speed shifter. I have a 4 on the floor ( including granny gear) that appears to be stock. No sign that steering column ever had shifter mech on it. Anybody know if Chevy had factory order floor shifter? Are guts of tranny different? Do I own a Frankenstein P/U? Thanks for any info. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall | | Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 | Somewhere around '49 was the first year for column shifter or maybe it was the last year for floor shift. I'm not sure but this is the Stovebolt Page and someone will be along shortly and straighten us both out!! Tim, George, where are you guys? | | | | | Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 4,263 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 4,263 | https://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=915938&page=allFrom above There was no long-bed option for 1947-1955 Chevrolet Advance-Design 1/2 ton pickup trucks. So, there was no short-bed nor a long-bed in those 1/2 ton trucks (those terms are meaningless in those years).
3100 and 3600 trucks came standard with a 3-speed transmission (as posted above). A 4-speed transmission was a factory option (as posted above). The 3800s came standard with a 4-speed.
GMC New Design (47-55) 1/2 ton trucks in those years had a long-bed option in the 1/2 ton trucks (model 102 vs model 100 - in all ND years?). Agreed here Denny. The more correct statement would be the standard transmission is the 3-speed but the optional 4-speed is a very common upgrade of that time. Here in the west I have never even seen a 3600 with the column shift three the 4 speed is/was the preferred way to order or spec the truck. I would also agree that about 1/2 the 3100's here are equipped with the 4-speed. I like Denny purchased my truck from the original owners family and it was factory original with the 4-speed. Here on this 1950 salesman order book you can see it was a $50.00 option, I think option is the key. http://www.flickr.com/photos/advance-design_parts_co/8335509814/in/set-72157631872034068RPO 318 4 speed available in 1949 3100 ...click... | | | | | Joined: Oct 2004 Posts: 1,780 Master Gabster | | Master Gabster Joined: Oct 2004 Posts: 1,780 | I have a 49 1/2 ton. It is running a 55 chevy 235 6. I bought a 48 to 53 shop manual CD for help. CD states that 49 Chevy's came with a Steering column 3-speed shifter. I have a 4 on the floor ( including granny gear) that appears to be stock. No sign that steering column ever had shifter mech on it. Anybody know if Chevy had factory order floor shifter? Are guts of tranny different? Do I own a Frankenstein P/U?[It could still be a frankentruck, there has been some modifications as noted with the engine change. Thanks for any info. Another current topic Lets start off with Welcome! Now we can offer some help. Does it have a body tag on the left door pillar? Have you tried putting in the numbers from the tag or the title into the Vin Buster? 4 speeds were common, I have had many trucks and half of the were 4 speeds. Lot's of information is available through the search feature at the top of the page. Posting pictures can also help identify parts you are unfamiliar with, we're here to help! | | |
| |
| |